[MOAB-dev] VTK structured mesh outpu

Grindeanu, Iulian R. iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 22 14:26:30 CDT 2016

Hi Paul,
So a rectilinear object needs to store just 3 arrays, coordinates along each of the directions; one array along x, let's say xi, i=1,nx, one array along y, yj, j=1,ny, etc.
Scd box references/stores explicitly all vertices, which means it uses in memory, for coordinates, 3 arrays for each coordinate, of size nx*ny*nz; A lot more than necessary for a rectilinear object in VTK.

I agree that ScdBox can be used, with some new flags, to differentiate it from regular ScdBox

memory saved is still much better than using fully unstructured;

Iulian