[MOAB-dev] subdomains, sparse tags

Grindeanu, Iulian R. iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 7 11:54:03 CDT 2016

Hi Nico,
If the tags are dense or sparse affects the way they are stored in memory or on the hdf5 file;
Sparse tags are kept in pairs <entity handle, value>
dense tags are kept in contiguous arrays, corresponding to entity sequences

I would use dense tags if possible;
On those entities on domains, do you need to identify domains or the value of the tag?

I mean, are you using the tag for grouping entities or they have the same value ?

In general, we create sets, and then "tag" them with a tag to identify/classify the sets.
(partition sets, or material sets, etc, which are usually sparse tags)

If every entity has a different value, you should use a dense tag defined on entities (not on sets)

If the tags are dense you can access them more efficiently with tag_iterate

there are some examples here

http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/fathom/moab-docs/DirectAccessWithHoles_8cpp-example.html

http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/fathom/moab-docs/DirectAccessNoHoles_8cpp-example.html

Not sure what you need exactly.