[MOAB-dev] writing in parallel

Vijay S. Mahadevan vijay.m at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 12:23:17 CST 2016

Hi Nico,

Yes write_mesh is implemented to work only in serial. It internally
just calls write_file but with NULL options [1]. I believe write_mesh
exists typically for debug purposes where we can dump the partial mesh
from each process and analyze it. I don't see why this should be
restricted this way and can certainly change that. Alternately, you
can and should directly call write_file (which can store tags and
other set data too) with options="PARALLEL=WRITE_PART;".

Iulian, we should update the documentation to say that write_mesh only
works in serial. Or optionally allow user to specify options so that
both serial/parallel writes can be enabled. Also, the documentation
for load_file and write_file should describe what typical options can
be used to read/write in parallel.

Vijay

[1] http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~fathom/moab-docs/html/classmoab_1_1Core.html#afa9715e0c6aef68eb7bb84407cf15a5e