[MOAB-dev] h5m: GLOBAL_ID

Grindeanu, Iulian R. iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 9 08:09:23 CST 2015

the start_id attribute refers to the unique file id (or  we call it sometimes unique entity id)  for each entity in an h5m format
There is no relation with the GLOBAL_ID tag.
file id is a moab convention
GLOBAL_ID corresponds slightly to global id for a cubit file
(so when you convert a cubit file, entities usually have global ids)

for moab, global ids are tags for entities, and usually global ids for vertices start from 1
global ids for hexas start from 1 too. They are just attributes/tags associated to the data, they can be set, reset, without modifying the mesh. (at your own risk:)

 file ids are unique identificators strictly related to moab hdf5 format
When sets are specified in h5m format, they are specified in terms of file ids (as they are unique, there is no confusion)
Also, connectivities are also specified using file ids (and not global ids for vertices, for example)

http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/fathom/moab-docs/h5mmain.html