[MOAB-dev] h5m with data

Patrick Shriwise shriwise at wisc.edu
Sun Nov 8 14:19:37 CST 2015

Hi Nico,

The vertex data should be stored in MOAB tags. You can access these tags
via their name. There is a set of conventions for the tag names in an
Exodus file (here
<http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/fathom/moab-docs/MBTagConventions_8hpp.html>
I think). However, if the tag has a custom name and isn't recognized by
the Exodus reader, then the data might not be read in from the Exodus
file and as a result won't be saved into the .h5m. Do you have an idea
of what the tag name might be for your data?

There's also a good example here
<http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/fathom/moab-docs/SetsNTags_8cpp-example.html> of
how to access the tag data on an entity. The example I linked you to
accesses EntitySets rather than Entities, but they work the same way.

If you think the data might be in the .h5m, you can use
tag_get_tags_on_entity
<http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/fathom/moab-docs/classmoab_1_1Interface.html#a6c737e7900d9c1b29b53d994076d204f>
to get all of the tags on a vertex and then check for the tag data
you're looking for. An easier way of doing this in the cmd line is by
using mbsize -t <your_file>.h5m to print out the count by tag.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Patrick C. Shriwise
Research Fellow