[MOAB-dev] Why kdtree's take so long to initialize

Tim Tautges (ANL) tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 12 14:44:01 CST 2014

Hi all,
   I spent the morning trying to figure out why kdtree's in MOAB take so long to initialize.  As often happens, I spent
time in the code, when I should have spent time in my brain first.  I wrote a FAQ item on it, at
https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/ITAPS/wiki/KdTreeCost.  Really, it's a simple matter of non-vertex elements not being
wholly contained in tree node boxes, and the box-element overlap test not being a simple box comparison.

I recently implemented a BVH tree that should perform much better for searching elements rather than points, with
initialization being much faster too.

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.