[MOAB-dev] Creating geometry from sets of triangles

Paul Wilson wilsonp at engr.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 6 17:04:36 CST 2014

Hello MOAB team,

I'm looking to write a new reader for MOAB to read wavefront (obj)
files.  These are sets of triangles - I think very similar to STL files
- that enclose volumes.  (STL may be another option here actually.) In
the primary geometry of interest, there are nested regions of space,
each enclosed by a set of triangles.  I'd like to generate a model a la
DAGMC that correctly excludes the nested volumes from its parent, etc.

It seems that something like this perhaps exists already, either in
MOAB, or CGM, or Cubit, and I wonder what advice the MOAB team has for
accomplishing this.  I've thought about some algorithmic notions to do
this, but didn't want to get too far down the implementation without
checking here first.

Paul

--
Paul Wilson ~ UW-Madison ~ 608-263-0807 ~ cal: http://bit.ly/pphw-cal