[MOAB-dev] Geodesic mesh representation

Chris Eldred chris.eldred at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 18:07:32 CST 2013

I have the mesh in a flat text file format- one file with vertex
coordinates, one file that lists the connectivity of faces to vertices
(ie for each face, what are the vertices that "bound" it).

Topologically, the mesh is 2D since the highest dimensionality element
is a face (bounded by edges). However, the mesh represents a
discretization of the surface of a sphere, so vertex coordinates are
3D (x,y,z). Since I am on the surface of a sphere of unit radius, I
could always go to a 2D coordinate representation in terms of angles
and just store the 3D coordinates as Tag values. Then everything would
be 2D (although the coordinates would be weird).

It is unclear to me how to define a 3D mesh from this, since there
really are no cells (elements of dimension = 3) in the mesh.

chris.eldred at gmail.com / celdred at atmos.colostate.edu