[MOAB-dev] Tag values problem,

Iulian Grindeanu iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 19 12:27:05 CDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

| It was my intention to have impossible tag. However in that case
| root_mesh is also impossible, to be parent and will do work.

Hi Lukasz

I would recommend to not use root set as a "parent"; I mean, it should not be used as a possible value for a handle tag (which is 0)

I looked at moab code more carefully, and you can set a handle tag value of 0, it will be written as 0 to the h5m file, and it will be read back as 0 when you load again the file (so your code "works", in the sense that what you saved is read back when you load the file)

Still, root set (entity handle 0) does not have a corresponding file id in the h5m file. It "works" for you by accident; Internally, we reserve the value 0 for handles that are "not found". 0 is also "not found", so you write 0 and read back 0, because 0 is not "found".

Root set is always considered to be the set that contains everything in the moab instance; You should not add entities to it (because it already contains everything), and you cannot remove entities from it. It cannot participate in the children-parent set relationships.

So, you should not use it as a "parent" in your logic.

You can always create another set that will be a "referenced" parent .

Best Regards,
Iulian