[MOAB-dev] scaling on intrepid

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 11 12:53:24 CST 2013

Hi Rob,
   Thanks for getting back to that.  Would be interesting to see whether the fixes to ROMIO work on 32k or 64k procs,
that's where we weren't able to get any reads to run reliably.

For write, could you set the -o DEBUG_IO=2 option, and send me the output?  That will give us more info.  It seems like
the code is getting hung up in the root-only read & bcast metadata stuff, but the debug output will confirm that.

- tim

On 01/11/2013 10:09 AM, Rob Latham wrote:
> I guess intrepid is old news and we should be looking at Mira now...
>
> Distressingly long ago, I was working with Tim and Jason on scaling
> moab on intrepid.   What would happen with the stock MPI-IO library is
> that MOAB would feed HDF5 a request, HDF5 would build up a complicated
> MPI-IO workload, and the MPI-IO library on Intrepid would consume too
> much memory and fail.
>
> I came up with a scheme to fit ROMIO parameters to the available
> memory.  This scheme seems to be working ok for reads and I'm able to
> scale up to 8k mpi processors without manually setting any hints
> (except for the one that says "size this parameter automatically")
>
> The write step is presently causing me some grief, and it does not
> immediately look like the write problem is MPI-IO.
>
> I was hoping I could run the experiment scenario by some moab folks as a sanity
> check to make sure I am still driving MOAB in a correct and useful way.
>
> I've been working with mbconvert like this:
>
> NODES=2048
> CORES=$(($NODES * 4))
>
> # because read-only home file system
> cd /intrepid-fs0/users/robl/scratch/moab-test
>
> cqsub -t 30 -m vn -p BGQtools_esp -e ROMIO_HINTS=/home/robl/src/moab-svn/experiments/romio_hints:MPIRUN_LABEL=1:BG_COREDUMPONEXIT=1 \
>          -n $NODES -c  $CORES /home/robl/src/moab-svn/build/tools/mbconvert\
>          -O CPUTIME -O PARALLEL_GHOSTS=3.0.1 -O PARALLEL=READ_PART \
>          -O PARALLEL_RESOLVE_SHARED_ENTS -O PARTITION -t \
>          -o CPUTIME -o PARALLEL=WRITE_PART /intrepid-fs0/users/tautges/persistent/meshes/2bricks/nogeom/64bricks_8mtet_ng_rib_${CORES}.h5m \
>          /intrepid-fs0/users/robl/scratch/moab/8mtet_ng-${CORES}-out.h5m
>
> [ Unsurprisingly (since it crashed in the middle of write)
> /intrepid-fs0/users/robl/scratch/moab/8mtet_ng-8192-out.h5m exists,
> but is only about 7k big and is not recognized as an HDF5 file. ]
>
> I'm using moab-svn r5930
>
> The program terminates with "killed with signal 15" , but the job has
> only run for 20 minutes.  I asked for 30.  I'll resubmit for 60
> minutes.
>
> I get this much output:
> stdout[0] Parallel Read times:
> stdout[0]   47.6997 PARALLEL READ PART
> stdout[0]   0.284176 PARALLEL RESOLVE_SHARED_ENTS
> stdout[0]   1.98761 PARALLEL EXCHANGE_GHOSTS
> stdout[0]   1.79284 PARALLEL RESOLVE_SHARED_SETS
> stdout[0]   50.0319 PARALLEL TOTAL
> stdout[0]   real:   50.4s
> stdout[0]   user:   50.4s
> stdout[0]   system: 0.0s
>
> (that's some pretty awful performance: 50 seconds to read 317 MiB?  I'll get to
> that next once I've got things actually performing at all.)
>
> I dumped 8192 core files and stitched them together with
> coreprocessor.  The backtrace is not very helpful.
>
> - Everyone gets to this function:
> moab::WriteHDF5::write_file_impl(char const*, bool,
>    moab::FileOptions const&, unsigned int const*, int,
>    std::vector<std::string, std::allocator<std::string> > const&,
>    moab::TagInfo* const*, int, int)

> [...]

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.