[MOAB-dev] merge question

Iulian Grindeanu iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 7 09:05:01 CDT 2011

Hello,

I have a question about merge_entities method in moab::Core
ErrorCode Core::merge_entities( EntityHandle entity_to_keep,
                                       EntityHandle entity_to_remove,
                                        bool auto_merge,
                                        bool delete_removed_entity)

Somewhere deep during the adjust adjacency call( aEntityFactory->merge_adjust_adjacencies(entity_to_keep, entity_to_remove) ),
some new entities are created, and I am not sure why.

Is it because of overabundance of caution?

During merge_adjust_adjacency call, a call to check_equiv_entities is made, in which a call to "result = create_explicit_adjs(*rit_rm);" is made. At this point, if 2 nodes are merged, all the adjacent entities to each of the nodes are created, even though none might have existed before the merge (so, when you merge hexas, all quads and edges are created, connected to the hexas at  the interface)

I am trying to understand the reasoning, and I think I am missing something.

Any help?

Thanks,
Iulian

// check for equivalent entities that may be formed when merging two entities, and
1322 // create explicit adjacencies accordingly
1323 ErrorCode AEntityFactory::check_equiv_entities(EntityHandle entity_to_keep,
1324                                                  EntityHandle entity_to_remove)