[MOAB-dev] exceptions & moab

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 30 12:32:04 CDT 2011

 Thanks.

-Jayesh

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Tautges" <tautges at mcs.anl.gov>
To: "Xiabing Xu" <xbxu at mcs.anl.gov>
Cc: "Jayesh Krishna" <jayesh at mcs.anl.gov>, "Developer correspondence for MOAB" <moab-dev at lists.mcs.anl.gov>, "Robert L. Jacob" <jacob at mcs.anl.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:51:05 AM
Subject: Re: exceptions & moab

For the fine-grained data objects (mesh entities, tag values), MOAB uses an array-based storage scheme, rather than a
C++ object-based scheme.  So, exceptions in constructors aren't as much of an issue as they might be in other C++ mesh
databases.

ErrorCode has some information, and you can get more information by calling Interface::get_last_error.

All that said, we also recognize the need for better error handling, and there's a task in this year's plan for doing
that.  Right now, that's as far as the planning has gone, though.

- tim

On 03/30/2011 10:39 AM, Xiabing Xu wrote:
> If you go to src/moab/Types.hpp, you could see the ErrorCode definition. I think it provides more information than
> what C++ exception does. And these error codes are used as condition variables most of the time to deal with
> different situations, they are used a lot when reading a file. That's what I understand so far.
>
> Xiabing
>
> On Mar 30, 2011, at 10:23 AM, Jayesh Krishna wrote:
>
>> Tim, Why did you decide on using error codes instead of C++ exceptions in moab ? How are errors in constructors
>> handled in moab ? Any inputs are welcome.
>>
>> Regards, Jayesh

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.