[MOAB-dev] Sparse vs. dense tags

Steve Jackson sjackson at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 15 15:09:28 CST 2010

The "GEOM_SENSE_2" tag, used to record the volumes on either side of a surface, is not consistently created as either sparse or dense.  When created from DagMC and its utility tools, the tag is created as dense, but when created from GeomTopoTool (via ReadCGM), the tag is sparse.

Questions:

* How big a problem is this inconsistency?  It doesn't seem to cause any errors or disruption.

* Should the tag be dense or sparse?  The tag is only used on entity sets that represent surfaces, so my guess is that it ought to be sparse, but I don't understand the implementation difference deeply enough to be sure.

~S