[MOAB-dev] [Fathom] Why can't mbsize print dense tags?

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 16 15:13:04 CST 2010

On 11/16/2010 03:06 PM, Iulian Grindeanu wrote:
> So, in a little experiment, when I used a dense tag only for vertices,
> the vtk file contains a SCALARS section just for vertices (even though I
> have elements in the model). If a just set the tag value for one triangle
> in the model, a new "SCALARS" section appears in the vtk file, for all
> "CELLS", including edges, and all triangles.

As you probably observed while reading the VTK file, there is no way to
store attribute data in a non-dense format.  The behavior you describe above
is dictated by the file format, and has nothing to do with what MOAB may or
may not store.

> I am surprised that the
> value shown for edges is 0 (not the default), but for the triangles it is
> -1 (the default one).

That is a bug.

> It is true that the vtk file is not our format of choice.
>
> Iulian ----- Original Message -----
>> Hello, So if a dense tag is defined, is this meaning that all entity
>> handles in the database have a value for that tag? (so , all vertices,
>> all elements, all sets?)

If a tag has a default value it is defined for all entities.

If a tag is dense, then it may be defined for more entities than it was
explicitly set on.  Which entities those are depends on MOAB's internal data
representation.

- jaosn

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Ralph Waldo Emerson