[MOAB-dev] Order of entities in unordered entity sets?

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 1 20:06:45 CDT 2010

On 06/01/2010 06:05 PM, James Porter wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I was under the impression that unordered entity sets (isList=false) in
> MOAB store their entities in sorted order, which means that they're also
> sorted by dimension. However, I'm seeing vertices stored *after* edges
> and faces in some code from MeshKit. If this is a bug, I'll see if I can
> come up with a minimal test-case that fails, but I wanted to make sure
> I'm not going crazy first.

MOAB may happen to store unordered sets sorted by handle order, but it
is a) not required to preserve that ordering through the iMesh interface
and b) is likely to do so only when asked for the immediate contents of
a set.  For recursive queries, getting adjacencies of entities in a set,
etc. there are no guarantees for either ordered or unordered sets.