[MOAB-dev] Reader/Writer filename extension access

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 30 13:25:01 CDT 2010

Coupla comments:

- I can't think of why we'll want to pass back leaf-class pointers to readers/writers through the API; parent class
pointers should suffice in all cases, I would think
- In most cases I think names of the reader/writer would be sufficient, and you could get those from ReaderWriterSet.

- tim

Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> Robert Smith wrote:
>> On Apr 30, 2010, at 9:05 AM, Jed Brown wrote:

>>> I think Jason's point was that it's unacceptable for client code to have
>>> a dependency on the implementations.
>> Do you mean the code that uses the Readers/Writers?  I would agree, it
>> should not depend on the implementation.  But does that mean no client
>> code can know which particular Reader/Writer it is using?  If that's
>> true then the entire purpose of the ticket seems moot.
>
> No, the application needs to know the file format that it wants to
> read/write.  It does not need to have a pointer to the Reader/Writer
> instance in MOAB that implements that file format.  For example, why not
> instead have functions that return a list of string names for all the
> readers and writers, and then have functions that, given a string name,
> return the list of extensions or description.
>
>> If that's not what you mean then I don't see how my suggestions open the
>> implementation to the users.  They are just new member functions.
>>

> They require that we install headers for all the reader/writer
> implementations and that the app include those headers, effectively making
> all of the implementations part of the MOAB API.
>
> - jason

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.