[MOAB-dev] Getting ent set data when tag_size > 1

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 13 13:34:10 CDT 2010

Jed Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:15:07 -0500, Jason Kraftcheck <kraftche at cae.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> The iMesh interface has always been odd with regards to multi-value
>> tags.  Just use get/setEntSetData for all data types.
>
> There ought to be get/setEntSetArrData (in fact, I would only expose the
> array interface because the single-tag versions are crippled and not
> more usable).

Agreed.  I'll put that on the list of extensions to write, and will propose it to itaps (nobody else really uses sets in
any serious way, so that's probably why it hasn't come up there).

> The values argument should also really be void* so that user code isn't
> required to cast to char* just so the implementation can do pointer
> arithmetic without casting.  The MPI standard also uses void* in place
> of void** to avoid requiring user casts (see the rationale for
> MPI_Comm_get_attr) and I would do this for similar uses in ITAPS,
> e.g. iMesh_getData.  My understanding is that ITAPS started with void*
> and changed, but I'm not aware of the rationale and find MPI's rationale
> to be quite cogent.

This is probably right, but I seem to remember considering that but not being able to do it.  Jason, do you recall
anything about that?

- tim

> Jed

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.