[MOAB-dev] Getting ent set data when tag_size > 1

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Apr 13 11:47:20 CDT 2010

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:15:07 -0500, Jason Kraftcheck <kraftche at cae.wisc.edu> wrote:
> The iMesh interface has always been odd with regards to multi-value
> tags.  Just use get/setEntSetData for all data types.

There ought to be get/setEntSetArrData (in fact, I would only expose the
array interface because the single-tag versions are crippled and not
more usable).

The values argument should also really be void* so that user code isn't
required to cast to char* just so the implementation can do pointer
arithmetic without casting.  The MPI standard also uses void* in place
of void** to avoid requiring user casts (see the rationale for
MPI_Comm_get_attr) and I would do this for similar uses in ITAPS,
e.g. iMesh_getData.  My understanding is that ITAPS started with void*
and changed, but I'm not aware of the rationale and find MPI's rationale
to be quite cogent.

Jed