[MOAB-dev] Redundant -L/usr/lib causing problems

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon Mar 1 16:59:54 CST 2010

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 16:31:19 -0600, Jason Kraftcheck <kraftche at cae.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Libtool is also specifying the correct -L and -l arguments to link the same
> libstdc++, so I'll assume for now that its use of -nostdlib is not the
> problem.  Basically, you have a compiler installed that uses a libstdc++
> that is not in the default library search path.  This seems like a broken
> system configuration to me.  However, you said that this configuration
> worked when building other software with the C++ compiler.

GCC is intended to be used this way, via
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs, however this very old message
indicates that the option only affects link time.

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2004-12/msg00085.html

So it would appear that everything else I built was either not
referencing these symbols, or was setting RPATH.  Sorry for the noise.

Jed