[MOAB-dev] Redundant -L/usr/lib causing problems

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 1 16:31:19 CST 2010

Jed Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 15:58:44 -0600, Jason Kraftcheck <kraftche at cae.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> I haven't seen this error before.  My first guess is that something on your
>> system changed with respect to the C++ compiler and you need to re-build MOAB.
>
> I did "make clean" and rebuilt.
>
>>> Perhaps this is due to the use of -nostdlib?
>>>
>> We don't use that.  I grepped every file in the MOAB source and build
>> results.  The only files that contain 'nostdlib' are generated by autotools
>> (aclocal.m4 and therefore configure).
>
> Well, it's creeping in

Libtool is also specifying the correct -L and -l arguments to link the same
libstdc++, so I'll assume for now that its use of -nostdlib is not the
problem.  Basically, you have a compiler installed that uses a libstdc++
that is not in the default library search path.  This seems like a broken
system configuration to me.  However, you said that this configuration
worked when building other software with the C++ compiler.  So what's
different?  Are these other things you're building with this compiler also
shared libraries?  What is the result of running ldd on them?