[MOAB-dev] make dist and cgm2moab.man

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 25 11:25:18 CST 2010

Steve Jackson wrote:
> Moabsters,
>
> I've discovered an oddity in moab's 'make dist' behavior.  I'm describing
> it in hopes that someone can (A) confirm it is a bug (rather than
> intended behavior) and (B) either fix it, or give me some guidance as to
> how it might be fixed.
>
> * 'make dist' can only be run on a moab tree that has been configured.
> If a tree's configure line did not include a valid --with-cgm, then the
> tarball produced by 'make dist' will not contain cgm2moab.man.
>
> * cgm2moab.man is required to install moab when --with-cgm is specified
> on the configure line.  Therefore, a tarball generated from a moab tree
> that was not configured with cgm cannot be used to install moab with cgm.
>

> Is this supposed to be the case?  Or should make dist be altered to
> always include cgm2moab.man, regardless of the configure settings? ~S

The handling of the man page in the Makefile.am looks strange.  Why is it
'dist_man1_MANS' rather than just 'man1_MANS'?  I don't even know what
'dist_man1_MANS' is supposed to do.  I'd try the following changes, in this
order until things work correctly:
  a) s/dist_man1_MANS/man1_MANS/
  b) move man1_MANS outside of the conditional block.
     E.g. conditionally define $(cgm2moabman) and then unconditionally
     define: man1_MANS = $(cgm2moabman)
  c) the brute force solution: EXTRA_DIST = cgm2moab.man