[MOAB-dev] Re-arranging MOAB source

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 7 16:10:44 CST 2010

Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> Tim Tautges wrote:
>> Several questions:
>>
>> Where would things like the skinner go (TopoUtil, ElemUtil, etc)?
>>

> Any features that are to be usable by other tools should go into moab/.
> Other stuff should be in tools/.

Then I think we need something like "core" inside moab, to distinguish the core stuff from the utils.  Or, make a utils
directory (which wouldn't be a bad idea either, for trees and other stuff).

>> How would naming the source directory moab help with namespacing, other
>> than perceptually?  If it's just perceptual, then I think we should
>> balance that against the familiarity that src has.
>>

> The directory name could serve as a "namespace" for header files.  For example:
>   #include "moab/exodus_order.h"

I've always found subdirs in #includes annoying.  Why not just put -Imoab and reference exodus_order.h directly?  Also,
I don't think we should install into a bunch of subdirs under include, and tools (and examples) should look as much as
possible like apps outside moab.

>> Instead of separate m4 and cmake subdirs, what about a config subdir
>> with m4 and cmake below that?
>>

> The selected ones are the defaults for both systems.  I don't know whether
> or not it can be changed for cmake.

I'd be very surprised if it can't be.

- tim

> - jason

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.