[MOAB-dev] moab file format and solution in time

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Nov 19 07:03:47 CST 2009

Lukasz Kaczmarczyk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I solving time dependent problems, each time when I store data I save
> mesh coordinates and connectivity. Very often for each time step I
> have the same mesh with different tags data.

My solution to this (somewhat in flux, I still haven't finished the
VisIt plugin) is that I don't put transient data (like model state) in
tags and don't necessarily use the coordinates that MOAB stores for
nodes.  Thus I'm using the mesh to handle topology and relations, but
not really geometry and definitely not field values.  I write my own
HDF5 file with the name of relevant tags and external links to iMesh
output.  If tag metadata changes frequently, I'll create a new tag each
time.  When appropriate, this metadata can be flushed, but the write
interval is decoupled from my time-steps and need to write model state.
If mesh topology is changing over time, it should be possible to
compress these changes, but I think it would be a colossal waste of time
in almost all applications because the mesh doesn't change every time
step and the mesh rarely requires more storage than a few steps of model
state.

Jed