[MOAB-dev] Problems with MOAB not finding hdf5

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 16 14:50:53 CDT 2009

Tim Tautges wrote:
> Hi John,
>   I wasn't aware that the build was breaking with pre-compiled versions
> of hdf5 on 64 bit.  I'm passing that along to Jason to test.
>
> - tim
>
> John H Magerlein wrote:
>>
>> Tim,
>> I was able to get this to work today, but it took a lot of effort.
>> When I compile this on my 64-bit system, I obviously need the 64-bit
>> HDF5 libraries. I loaded the latest pre-compiled HDF5 64-bit
>> libraries, but your configure code to detect working HDF libraries
>> seems to fail for this latest release of HDF. Eventually I got some
>> older HDF5 code (release 1.6.4), but I had to compile this from
>> sources to get a 64-bit version. This was a lot of trouble and I'm not
>> sure it is completely right. In any case, using this older HDF5 code
>> with MOAB/iMesh does seem to all work now.
>>
>> In summary, can you modify your code so it is compatible with the
>> current release of HDF5?

I cannot say with certainly what problem was encountered without more
information (architecture and operating system, resulting config.log file,
etc.)  My best guess is that you probably do not have the szip library
installed.  If this is the case, then our configure script is correct in
reporting that the HDF5 library does not work (I assume that was the error.)
  To fix this, you need to download and install the szip library, and if it
is installed in a non-standard place, use --with-szip or LDFLAGS=
appropriately when configuring MOAB.  Alternately, you could just build the
HDF5 library from source w/out support for SZIP compression (MOAB doesn't
use it anyway.)