[MOAB-dev] MOAB question

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 2 23:29:02 CST 2008

Suzanne Shontz wrote:
> Jason & Tim,
>
> Actually, on closer inspection of the resulting meshes, I see that
> mbskin did *not* yield the desired result.  mbconvert yielded hex meshes
> (but without boundary information), whereas mbskin (when called as
> indicated below) yielded the desired boundary information, but it
> returned hybrid meshes with tet and hex elements.  Any idea why this is
> happening?  The meshes are definitely hex meshes I'm trying to convert.
> Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.

It definitely should not be creating any tetrahedral elements.  If it
is, that is certainly a bug.  Are you sure that it is creating
tetrahedral elements and not quadrilateral ones?  The mbskin utility
might be creating the quadrilateral elements that define the skin of the
mesh.  If that is the case, you can use mbconvert to remove those from
the file:
   mbconvert -3 input.vtk output.vtk