[MOAB-dev] r1335 - MOAB/trunk

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 24 17:50:12 CDT 2007

David C Thompson wrote:
>> Why did you add HDF5-related defines to MBEntityHandle.h.in?  The
>> MBEntityHandle header has nothing to do with HDF5 files.
> Well, my Mom always taught me never to use a C compiler's "-D" option --
> that's what config files are for. But MOAB seems hopelessly tied to the
> idea so I'll change it back.

Well, the right way to avoid using -D would be to use config.h.  Putting
them in MBEntityHandle.h is a less than ideal solution.  The preprocessor
defines can be grouped into two catagories: those that affect the ABI and
those that don't. (Those that an application needs to know about and those
that it doesn't.)  We try to keep the former as small a set as possible
and to prefix them with 'MOAB_' to avoid conflicts with the code in
applications using MOAB.  The HDF5 stuff is definitely in the latter
category, and therefore should not be in a header that is used by
applications.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Ralph Waldo Emerson