[hpc-announce] [CFP] The 8th EMC2 - Energy Efficient Training and Inference of Transformer Based Models Workshop at AAAI23

Fanny Nina Paravecino fninaparavecino at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 00:18:20 CDT 2022

[Corrected Date]

The 8th EMC2 - Energy Efficient Training and Inference of Transformer Based
Models Workshop at AAAI23

Monday February 13, 2023, Washington DC, US.

Website site: <https://www.latinxinai.org/neurips-2022>
https://www.emc2-ai.org/aaai-23

Important dates:

Submission Deadline:Nov 7, 2022 (AOE)

Notifications sent: Nov 18, 2022

Final Manuscript due: Dec 1st, 2022

Talk Recording due: Dec 19, 2022

Submission site: https://www.emc2-ai.org/submission

Publication:

Proceedings will be published by workshop proceedings IEEE Xplore -
Conference Table of Contents
<https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/conhome/1826546/all-proceedings>

=========

Introduction

Transformers are the foundational principles of large deep learning
language models. Recent successes of Transformer-based models in image
classification and action prediction use cases indicate their wide
applicability. In this workshop, we want to focus on the leading ideas
using Transformer models such as PALM from Google. We will learn what have
been their key observations on performance of the model, optimizations for
inference and power consumption of both mixed-precision inference and
training.

The goal of this Workshop is to provide a forum for researchers and
industry experts who are exploring novel ideas, tools, and techniques to
improve the energy efficiency of machine learning and deep learning as it
is practiced today and would evolve in the next decade. We envision that
only through close collaboration between industry and the academia we will
be able to address the difficult challenges and opportunities of reducing
the carbon footprint of AI and its uses. We have tailored our program to
best serve the participants in a fully digital setting.  Our forum
facilitates active exchange of ideas through

   -

   Keynotes, invited talks and discussion panels by leading researchers
   from industry and academia
   -

   Peer-reviewed papers on latest solutions including works-in-progress to
   seek directed feedback from experts
   -

   Independent publication of proceedings through IEEE CPS

We invite full-length papers describing original, cutting-edge, and even
work-in-progress research projects about efficient machine learning.
Suggested topics for papers include, but are not limited to:

   -

   Neural network architectures for resource constrained applications
   -

   Efficient hardware designs to implement neural networks including
   sparsity, locality, and systolic designs
   -

   Power and performance efficient memory architectures suited for neural
   networks
   -

   Network reduction techniques – approximation, quantization, reduced
   precision, pruning, distillation, and reconfiguration
   -

   Exploring interplay of precision, performance, power, and energy through
   benchmarks, workloads, and characterization
   -

   Simulation and emulation techniques, frameworks, tools, and platforms
   for machine learning
   -

   Optimizations to improve performance of training techniques including
   on-device and large-scale learning
   -

   Load balancing and efficient task distribution, communication and
   computation overlapping for optimal performance
   -

   Verification, validation, determinism, robustness, bias, safety, and
   privacy challenges in AI systems

Submission Guidelines

Short-papers: Up to 6 pages excluding references. No supplementary material
will be allowed. They can present work in progress, exploratory/preliminary
research or already published work, or any relevant artificial intelligence
applications for Latin America

Style: Submissions must  follow the guidelines provided by the
<https://neurips.cc/Conferences/2021/PaperInformation/StyleFiles>
<https://neurips.cc/Conferences/2022/PaperInformation/StyleFiles>IEEE style
<https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html>. Submissions
should state the research problem, motivation, and technical contribution.
All submissions must be in English. The submissions should be sent in a
single PDF file.

Desk rejection: Submissions that do not follow the length or style
requirements above shall be automatically rejected without consideration of
their merits.

(Optional) Source code: We encourage authors of accepted submissions to
provide a link to their source code. To maintain a double-blind review
process, you will be allowed to submit or link your code in the
camera-ready stage.

Submission of a paper should be regarded as an undertaking that if the
paper should be accepted, at least one of the authors need to register for
the conference and present the work.

Submit your paper(s) in PDF format at the submission site:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=emc24

Workshop Chairs

Fanny Nina Paravecino, Microsoft, US

Kushal Datta, Microsoft, US