[hpc-announce] Call for participation: Interactive Urgent Supercomputing SC workshop

Nick Brown n.brown at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Tue Nov 8 02:46:57 CST 2022

Call for participation: Combined International Workshop on Interactive
Urgent Supercomputing (CIW-IUS)

When: Monday morning, 14th November as part of SC
Where: Room C148 in the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas,
and also online
Website: www.urgenthpc.com

Interactivity enables the exploitation of HPC in new and revolutionary
ways, delivering many new and exciting opportunities for our community.
Urgent computing is one example, where combining interactive
computational modelling with the near real time detection of unfolding
disasters can aid in urgently responding to real-world problems,
ultimately saving lives and reducing economic loss. Whilst the
importance of interactive and urgent workloads on HPC could be
considerable for our community, supporting these requires expertise in a
wide range of areas and the solving of numerous technical challenges.

This workshop combines the InteractiveHPC and UrgentHPC initiatives,
bringing together stakeholders, researchers and practitioners from
across interactivity and urgent computing with the wider HPC community.
Aiming to identify and tackle obstacles, we will share success stories,
case studies and challenges with the goal of continued community
building around leveraging interactive HPC as an important tool for
urgently responding to disasters and societal issues.

Schedule (more information on our website and the SC schedule):

8:30 - 8:35: Introduction and welcome
8:35 - 9:10: Invited Talk: Emergency Forecasting of Volcanic Gas Dispersion
9:10 - 9:35: Research paper: The Design and Utilization of PanSim, a
Portable Pandemic Simulator
9:35 - 10:00: Research paper: Web-Based Volunteer Distributed Computing
for Handling Time-Critical Urgent Workloads
10:00 - 10:30: Morning coffee break
10:30 - 10:45: Research paper: Toward a Methodology for Building Dynamic
Urgent Applications on Continuum Computing Platforms
10:45 - 11:00: Research paper: Accelerated Workflow for Advanced Kinetic
Equilibria
11:00 - 11:05: Lightning Talk: Interactive Computing with Serverless
Functions in rFaaS
11:05 - 11:10: Lightning Talk: Image-Guided Adaptive Radiation Therapy
(IGART) Based on Massive Parallelism and Real-Time Scheduling
11:10 - 11:15: Lightning Talk: Tackling COVID-19 at the Regional HPC
Center ROMEO
11:15 - 11:20: Lightning Talk: Interactive HPC Using Jupyter
11:20 - 11:25: Lightning Talk: Enabling High Performance Remote Research
Desktops with ThinLinc
11:25 - 11:30: Lightning Talk: Can Serverless Computing Enable "Quick"
Supercomputing?
11:30 - 11:55: Panel discussion
11:55 - 12:00: Conclusions and next steps

For more information you can visit the website at www.urgenthpc.com

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.