[hpc-announce] First Symposium on Quantitative Codesign of Supercomputers

Jones, Terry trjones at ornl.gov
Wed Oct 13 12:53:58 CDT 2021

We apologize if you received multiple copies of this email.

Please feel free to distribute it to those who might be interested

We cordially invite you to attend and participate in the First Symposium on Quantitative Codesign of Supercomputers

https://QuantitativeCodesignSC.org<https://quantitativecodesignsc.org/>

to be held in conjunction with the

34th International Conference On High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC’21)

November 19, 2021 | Hybrid Format (Virtual Attendance / Physical Attendance) | http://sc21.supercomputing.org<http://sc21.supercomputing.org/>

OVERVIEW

SC’21 will feature the First International Symposium of Quantitative Codesign For Supercomputers. This symposium proposes combining two methodologies—collaborative codesign and data-driven analysis—to realize the full potential of supercomputing. We consider everything pertaining to output production, including but not limited to the performance of applications, system software, workflows, health of hardware, etc.

Our supercomputer centers store vast sums of information, yet using this data to improve the systems themselves is not straight-forward. Much of the data-driven challenge has to do with discovering, accessing, and analyzing the right data. We also face formidable challenges when using the data collected on current systems to facilitate the design of next-generation supercomputers and successfully support our upcoming environments. Quantitative codesign offers a collaborative, evidence-based approach to address our existing needs and our upcoming ambitions.

This symposium will bring together leaders in the field to review current data-driven codesign efforts across centers and discuss areas that show potential. The symposium will also provide a forum for those assembled across HPC including academia, national laboratories and industry. Our format includes four speakers with diverse backgrounds and viewpoints, as well as ample opportunity for community involvement via a panel session and a moderated general discussion.

SPEAKERS:

• Lead Speaker: Martin Schulz – Technical University of Munich, Germany

On the experience of long time data collection on SuperMUC to drive energy efficiency

• Speaker: Duncan Roweth – Hewlett Packard Enterprise, USA
HPE network codesign of slingshot interconnect
• Speaker: Mitsuhisa Sato — Riken, Japan
Bright Side and Dark Side of Codesign: Lessons learned from codesign for Fugaku
• Speaker: Jeanine Cook — Sandia National Laboratories
Toward Ensuring an Effective Proxy App Suite: Lessons Learned from the ECP Proxy App Project
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT:

·         Panel “How Better Data Can Result In Better Codesign”

Moderator Jim Brandt (Sandia) with stance statement.  Panelists: Florina Ciorba (Univ of Basel), Esteban Meneses (CRNHC), Larry Kaplan (HPE), Jesus Labarta (SBC), Hatem Ltaief (KAUST), Gabe Rockefeller (LANL)

·         Community general discussion

Moderator Jim Brandt (Sandia) — [including Audience, Panel, Speakers].

Discuss: technical challenges, future opportunities, community building, etc.

TO ATTEND:

Facilities will be provided for virtual attendance with two-way audience participation. Physical attendance will be at the SC’21 venue (St Louis Convention Center, St. Louis, MO). Register now at the SC'21 website registration page<https://sc21.supercomputing.org/attend/register/>.

SYMPOSIUM ORGANIZERS:

Workshop Organizing Committee

● Terry Jones — Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA

● Estela Suarez — Jülich Supercomputing Centre, Germany

● Ann Gentile — Sandia National Laboratories, USA

● Michael Jantz — the University of Tennessee, USA

Workshop Program Committee

● Jim Brandt — Sandia National Laboratories, USA

● Florina Ciorba — University of Basel, Switzerland

● Hal Finkel — US DOE office of Advanced Scientific Computing Research, USA

● Lin Gan — National Supercomputing Center, Wuxi, China

● Maya Gokhale — Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA

● Thomas Gruber — Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuernberg, Germany

● Oscar Hernandez — Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA

● Jesus Labarta — Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Spain

● Hatem Ltaief — King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia

● Yutong Lu — Director of National Supercomputing Center in Guangzhou, China

● Esteban Meneses — Costa Rica National High Technology Center, Costa Rica

● Bernd Mohr — Jülich Supercomputing Centre, Germany

● David Montoya — Trenza, USA

● Dirk Pleiter — KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden

● Mitsuhisa Sato — Riken, Japan

● Martin Schulz — Technical University of Munich, Germany

CONTACT

Write to us at trj [AT] ornl [DOT] gov for more details.