[hpc-announce] [CFP] ESSA 2022: 3rd Workshop on Extreme-Scale Storage and Analysis

Murali Emani m.k.eemani at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 11:01:08 CST 2021

       ESSA 2022 : 3rd Workshop on Extreme-Scale Storage and Analysis
         Held in conjunction with IEEE IPDPS 2022 - June 3rd, 2022

                   https://sites.google.com/view/essa-2022/

==========
OVERVIEW:
==========

We are organizing the third edition of the International Workshop on
High Performance Storage (HPS) held in conjunction with IPDPS in 2020
and 2021 under a renewed name: ESSA - the International Workshop on
Extreme-Scale Storage and Analytics (ESSA).  The workshop is renamed
to enlarge the scope of the HPS workshop mainly focused on storage to
also more explicitly reflect our intention to also include topics
related to data processing and analytics.

Advances in storage are becoming increasingly critical because
workloads on high performance computing (HPC) and cloud systems are
producing and consuming more data than ever before, and the situation
promises to only increase in future years. Additionally, the last
decades have seen relatively few changes in the structure of parallel
file systems, and limited interaction between the evolution of
parallel file systems and I/O support systems that take advantage of
hierarchical storage layers. However, recently the community has seen
a large uptick in innovations in data storage and processing systems
as well as in I/O support software for several reasons:
    - Technology: The availability of an increasing number of
persistent solid-state storage and persistent storage-class memory
technologies that can replace either memory or disk are creating new
opportunities for the structure of storage systems.
    - Performance requirements: Disk-based parallel file systems
cannot satisfy the performance needs of high-end systems. However, it
is not clear how solid-state storage and storage-class memory can best
be used to achieve the needed performance, so new approaches for using
solid-state storage and storage-class memory in HPC systems are being
designed and evaluated.
    - Application evolution: Data analysis applications, including
graph analytics and machine learning, are becoming increasingly
important both for scientific computing and for commercial computing.
I/O is often a major bottleneck for such applications, both in cloud
and HPC environments – especially when fast turnaround or integration
of heavy computation and analysis are required. Consequently, data
storage, I/O and processing requirements are evolving, as complex
workflows involving computation, analytics and learning emerge.
    - Infrastructure evolution: HPC technology will not only be
deployed in dedicated supercomputing centers in the future. "Embedded
HPC", "HPC in the box", "HPC in the loop", "HPC in the cloud", "HPC as
a service", and "near-to-real-time simulation" are concepts requiring
new small-scale deployment environments for HPC. A federation of
systems and functions with consistent mechanisms for managing I/O,
storage, and data processing across all participating systems will be
required to create what is called a "computing continuum".
    - Virtualization and disaggregation: As virtualization and
disaggregation become broadly used in cloud and HPC computing, the
issue of virtualized storage has increasing importance and efforts
will be needed to understand its implications for performance.

Our goals in the ESSA Workshop are to bring together expert
researchers and developers in data-related areas such as storage, I/O,
processing and analytics on extreme scale infrastructures including
HPC systems, clouds, edge systems or hybrid combinations of these, to
discuss advances and possible solutions to the new challenges we face.
We expect the ESSA Workshop to result in lively interactions over a
wide range of interesting topics, including:

    - Extreme-scale storage systems (on high-end HPC infrastructures,
clouds, or hybrid combinations of them)
    - Extreme-scale parallel and distributed storage architectures
    - The synergy between different storage models (POSIX file system,
object storage, key-value, row-oriented, and column-oriented
databases)
    - Structures and interfaces for leveraging persistent solid-state
storage and storage-class memory
    - High-performance I/O libraries and services
    - I/O performance in extreme-scale systems and applications
(HPC/clouds/edge)
    - Storage and data processing architectures and systems for hybrid
HPC/cloud/edge infrastructures, in support of complex workflows
potentially combining simulation and analytics
    - Integrating computation into the memory and storage hierarchy to
facilitate in-situ and in-transit data processing
    - I/O characterization and data processing techniques for
application workloads relying on extreme-scale parallel/distributed
machine-learning/deep learning
    - Tools and techniques for managing data movement among compute
and data intensive components
    - Data reduction and compression
    - Failure and recovery of extreme-scale storage systems
    - Benchmarks and performance tools for extreme-scale I/O
    - Language and library support for data-centric computing
    - Storage virtualization and disaggregation
    - Ephemeral storage media and consistency optimizations
    - Storage architectures and systems for scalable stream-based processing
    - Study cases of I/O services and data processing architectures in
support of various application domains (bioinformatics, scientific
simulations, large observatories, experimental facilities, etc.)

============
SUBMISSIONS:
============

The workshop will accept traditional research papers (8-10 pages) for
in-depth topics and short papers (4-8 pages) for work in progress on
hot topics. Papers should present original research and provide
sufficient background material to make them accessible to the broader
community.

Paper format:  single-spaced double-column pages using 10-point size
font on 8.5x11 inch pages (IEEE conference style), including figures,
tables, and references. The submitted manuscripts should include
author names and affiliations. The IEEE conference style templates for
MS Word and LaTeX provided by IEEE eXpress Conference Publishing are
available here:
https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html

Submission site:
https://ssl.linklings.net/conferences/ipdps/?page=Submit&id=ESSAWorkshopFullSubmission&site=ipdps2022

================
IMPORTANT DATES:
================

Abstract submission (optional) deadline: January 28th, 2022
Paper submission deadline: February 1st, 2022
Acceptance notification: March 1st, 2022
Camera-ready deadline: March 15th, 2022
Workshop date: June 3rd, 2022

=================
WORKSHOP CHAIRS:
=================

Osamu Tatebe, University of Tsukuba, Japan - Chair - tatebe at cs.tsukuba.ac.jp
Gabriel Antoniu, Inria, France  - Co-Chair - gabriel.antoniu at inria.fr

================
PROGRAM CHAIRS:
================

Kento Sato, RIKEN, Japan - Chair - kento.sato at riken.jp
Murali Emani, ANL, USA - Co-Chair - memani at anl.gov

====================
PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
====================

Julien Bigot, CEA, France
Angelos Bilas, Forth, Greece
Suren Byna, LBNL, USA
Franck Cappello, ANL, USA
Toni Cortes, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Spain
Alexandru Costan, Inria, France
Matthieu Dorier, ANL, USA
Luanzheng Guo, University of California, Merced, PNNL, USA
Hideyuki Kawashima, Keio University, Japan
Kathryn Mohror, LLNL, USA
Diana Moise, HPE, Switzerland
Hiroki Ohtsuji, Fujitsu Ltd, Japan
Dana Petcu, West University of Timisoara, Romania
Michael Schoettner, Duesseldorf University, Germany
Weikuan Yu, Florida State University, USA

Thanks,
Murali