[hpc-announce] ARCS 2021 Participation: A Cambrian Explosion of Novel Computer Architectures?

Lars Bauer lars.bauer at kit.edu
Tue May 25 07:51:47 CDT 2021

                   34th GI/ITG INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
                   ARCHITECTURE OF COMPUTING SYSTEMS (ARCS)

                             Virtual Conference
                              June 7 – 8, 2021
                        https://arcs-conference.org/

                 C A L L   F O R   P A R T I C I P A T I O N

THIS YEAR’S FOCUS:  A Cambrian Explosion of Novel Computer Architectures?

(Source: J.L. Hennessy and D.A. Patterson: “A New Golden Age for Computer
     Architecture” in Communications of the ACM 62.2 (2019), pp. 48-60)

Overview:

The ARCS conferences series has over 30 years of tradition reporting
leading edge research in computer architecture and operating systems.
The focus of the 2021 conference will be on novel computer architectures
to overcome the inefficiencies in general-purpose processors. This
includes hardware architectures, programming models, runtime environments,
cross-sectional topics, and real-world use cases.
The proceedings of ARCS 2021 are planed to be published in the Springer
Lecture Notes on Computer Science (LNCS) series. A best paper and best
presentation award will be presented at the conference. Facing the
ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, ARCS 2021 will be a virtual conference with
live presentations, live Q&A, and up-to-date opportunities for virtual
socializing.

Keynotes:

* Monday Keynote: "The Cambrian Explosion in Architecture – Are We “There”
                    Yet?", Peter Kogge, Univ. of Notre Dame, USA
    Given the recent explosion in novel architectural features, it is
    natural to assert that we are at least entering a similar “golden age”
    of computing. This talk explores this assertion, with a comparison of
    advances in architecture with the evolution of life, and a conclusion
    that no, we are not quite at the Cambrian point yet, but the diversity
    we see now is a sign that architecture a generation from now may look
    radically different than today. [...]

* Tuesday Keynote: "Brain Inspired Computing", Johannes Schemmel,
                     Heidelberg University, Germany
    Brain Inspired or Neuromorphic Computing, as a realization of Non-
    Turing, in-memory, event-based computing, will allow us to overcome
    the power wall our CPU-centric CMOS technology is facing. [...]
    This talk will summarize how the Heidelberg BrainScaleS-2 accelerated
    analog neuromorphic architecture balances Turing and Non-Turing
    computing [...]

Program Overview:

Monday, June 7th:
    * Opening Ceremony
    * Monday Keynote: "The Cambrian Explosion in Architecture – Are We
                      “There” Yet?"
    * Session 1: Memory Optimizations
    * Session 2: Heterogeneous Computing
    * Get Together

Tuesday, June 8th:
    * Session 3: Instruction Set Transformations
    * Session 4: Organic Computing
    * Tuesday Keynote: "Brain Inspired Computing"
    * Session 5: Low Power Design
    * VEFRE Workshop
    * Award- and Closing Ceremony

https://arcs-conference.org/program

Registration and Venue:

Registration fee: 60 EUR (GI/ITG Members: 40 EUR)
Virtual Venue: https://workadventu.re/
https://arcs-conference.org/registration

Organizing Committee:

General Chair
Christian Hochberger, TU Darmstadt, Germany

Program Chairs
Thilo Pionteck, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Germany
Lars Bauer, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany

Workshop Chair
Carsten Trinitis, TU Munich, Germany

Publication Chair
Thilo Pionteck, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Germany