[hpc-announce] [CFP][New Deadline: Feb 21th 2021 - FINAL] HPS'21: 2nd Workshop on High-Performance Storage (held in conjuction with IPDPS'21

Bogdan Nicolae bogdan.nicolae at acm.org
Mon Feb 15 17:42:23 CST 2021

CALL FOR PAPERS

2nd Workshop on High-Performance Storage

HPS 2021

Held in conjunction with IPDPS 2021.

https://sites.google.com/view/hps-2021/home

Created in 2020, HPS is a newly established workshop that covers all
aspects of High-Performance I/O and storage, including storage
hardware, storage systems, libraries, and I/O intensive applications.
The recent years are seeing an accelerated evolution of high-end
storage systems, libraries, and services, due to several reasons:

Technology: The availability of an increasing number of persistent
solid-state storage technologies that can replace either memory or
disk is creating new opportunities for the structure of storage
systems.
Performance Requirements: Disk-based parallel file systems cannot
satisfy the performance needs of high-end systems. It is not clear how
solid-state storage is best used to alleviate the problem.
Infrastructure evolution: HPC technology will not only be deployed in
dedicated supercomputing centers in the future. “Embedded HPC”, “HPC
in the box”, “HPC in the loop”, “HPC in the cloud”, “HPC as a
service”, “near- to-real-time simulation” are concepts requiring new
small-scale deployment environments for HPC. A federation of systems
and functions with consistent mechanisms for managing I/O, storage and
data processing across all participating systems will be required to
create a “continuum” of computing.
Application Evolution: Data analysis, including graph analytics and
machine learning training, are becoming increasingly important
high-end applications. I/O is often a major bottleneck for such
applications, both in a cloud environment and in an HPC environment –
especially when fast turnaround or integration of heavy computation
with heavy analysis are required. This is becoming more and more
frequent in the context of the current emergence of the computing
continuum described above, in support of hybrid workflows combining
simulation and analytics.
Virtualization and disaggregation: As virtualization and
disaggregation become broadly used in cloud and HPC computing, the
issues of virtualized storage and storage disaggregation have
increasing importance.

The workshop aims to bring together researchers and developers working
on high-end storage systems, libraries and applications in HPC and
clusters, and users of such systems that are interested in these
issues.

HPS 2021 welcomes original submissions in a range of areas, including
but not limited to:
• High-end storage systems
• Parallel and distributed high-end storage architectures and organizations
• The synergy between different storage models (POSIX file system,
object storage, key-value, row-oriented, and column-oriented
databases)
• Storage and data processing architectures and systems for hybrid
HPC/cloud/edge infrastructures, in support of complex workflows
potentially combining simulation and analytics
• Structures and interfaces for leveraging persistent solid-state storage
• High-performance I/O libraries and services
• I/O performance in high-end systems and applications
• Data reduction and compression
• Benchmarks and performance tools for high-end I/O
• Language and library support for data-centric computing
• Storage virtualization and disaggregation
• Active processing in storage technologies.
• Ephemeral storage media and consistency optimizations
• Storage architectures and systems for scalable stream-based processing
• Study cases of I/O services in support of various application
domains (bioinformatics, scientific simulations, large observatories,
experimental facilities, etc.)

SUBMISSION INFORMATION

The workshop will accept traditional research papers (8-10 pages) for
in-depth topics and short papers (4-8 pages) for work in progress on
hot topics. Papers should present original research and provide
sufficient background material to make them accessible to the broader
community. Paper format:  single-spaced double-column pages using
10-point size font on 8.5x11 inch pages (IEEE conference style),
including figures, tables, and references. The submitted manuscripts
should include author names and affiliations. The IEEE conference
style templates for MS Word and LaTeX provided by IEEE eXpress
Conference Publishing are available here:
https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html

Submission site:
https://ssl.linklings.net/conferences/ipdps/?page=Submit&id=HPSWorkshopFullSubmission&site=ipdps2021

IMPORTANT DATES

Abstract submission (optional) deadline: January 25th, 2021
Paper submission deadline: February 21st, 2021 (final)
Acceptance notification: March 7th, 2021
Camera-ready deadline: March 20th, 2021
Workshop date: May 21st, 2021

ORGANIZATION

Workshop Chairs:
Gabriel Antoniu, Inria, France  - Chair - gabriel.antoniu at inria.fr
Marc Snir, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA - Co-Chair-
snir at illinois.edu

Program Co-Chairs:
Bogdan Nicolae, Argonne National Lab, USA - Chair - bogdan.nicolae at acm.org
Osamu Tatebe, University of Tsukuba, Japan, Co-Chair - tatebe at cs.tsukuba.ac.jp

Program Committee:
Angelos Bilas, Forth, Greece
Suren Byna, LLBL, USA
Franck Cappello, ANL, USA
Jesus Carretero, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
Toni Cortes, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Spain
Kathryn Mohror, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA
Alexandru Costan, Inria and INSA Rennes, France
Matthieu Dorier, Argonne National Lab, USA
Dana Petcu, University West Timisoara, Romania
Michael Schoettner, University of Dusseldorf, Germany
Domenico Talia, University of Calabria, Italy
Kento Sato, RIKEN, Japan
François Tessier, Inria, France
Weikuan Yu, Florida State University, USA

For additional details, please refer to our  web site:
https://sites.google.com/view/hps-2021/home