[hpc-announce] = Extended Deadline = Special Issue "Performance, Power and Energy-Efficiency Optimization in Computer Architectures"
Nuno.Roma at inesc-id.pt
Wed Mar 4 09:13:50 CST 2020
[We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this Call For Papers]
Special Issue on "Performance, Power and Energy-Efficiency Optimization
in Computer Architectures"
Energies, MDPI (ISSN 1996-1073) - Open Access Journal
Ranked Q1 in Scopus/Scimago - Impact Factor: 2.707 (2018)
Submission Deadline: 17 March 2020
SCOPE AND OBJECTIVES:
To satisfy the growing demands for higher application performance and
reduced power and energy consumption, performance and energy efficiency
optimization has become a fundamental constraint and requisite,
embracing the processor architectures (homogeneous/heterogeneous
many-core GPPs), the accelerators and co-processors (e.g., APUs, GPUs,
etc.), and even the embedded domain (e.g., SoCs, FPGAs, ASICs, etc.),
where the development of energy-saving methodologies is a fundamental
issue not only for mobile, hand-held and wireless applications but
also to reach exascale computing.
The need to satisfy the required performance levels, as well as the new
thermal, power and energy constraints, require the definition of
innovative solutions to attain an effective optimization of the offered
throughput and/or minimization of the power/energy consumption. Among
many other research directions, this challenge naturally involves the
design of high performance and energy-efficient architectures and
communication infrastructures, as well as the development of novel
algorithms and tools comprising the scheduling, mapping, load-balancing,
and scalability, together with innovative compilation techniques.
The goal of this Special Issue is to collect novel contributions
covering prevailing issues and prominent challenges related to
optimizing the performance, power, and energy efficiency in computing
devices and systems.
Topics of interest include (but are not limited to) the following:
* Computer architecture trends for performance and energy efficiency:
- ISA diversity and morphable structures;
- Run-time reconfiguration/adaptation and dynamic scalability;
- CPU accelerator co-design (GPUs, APUs, FPGAs, etc.);
- Heterogeneous and parallel processing architectures;
- Approximate computing techniques and architectures;
- Neuromorphic architectures.
* Energy/power management and control:
- Run-time power/energy monitoring and sensing;
- Performance, power, energy and heat/temperature modeling;
- Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS);
- Power/clock gating strategies;
- Performance vs. power/energy scaling and management.
* Tools and algorithms:
- Programming languages, compilers and models for energy-aware
- Profiling and simulation tools for heat/power/energy estimation;
- Scheduling, mapping and task/thread migration policies for
performance and power/energy optimization;
- Performance- and energy-aware resource management;
- Operating system support and energy management tools.
- Leonel Sousa, INESC-ID, Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade
de Lisboa, Portugal (las at inesc-id.pt)
- Nuno Roma, INESC-ID, Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de
Lisboa, Portugal (nuno.roma at inesc-id.pt)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PAPER SUBMISSION:
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering
and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to
go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the
deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be
published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be
listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review
articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned
papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the
Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be
under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference
proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a
single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant
information for submission of manuscripts is available on the
Instructions for Authors page. Energies is an international
peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a
manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this
open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should
be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English
editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
INESC-ID, IST, Universidade de Lisboa
More information about the hpc-announce