[hpc-announce] CFP: HPS - IPDPS Workshop on High Performance Storage [Deadline Jan 31st] [May 22nd, New Orleans]

Snir, Marc snir at illinois.edu
Sat Jan 4 11:23:22 CST 2020

CALL FOR PAPERS

IEEE Workshop on High-Performance Storage (HPS), in conjunction with IPDPS’20, New Orleans, Louisiana
Paper submission deadline January 31st, 2020
Submission site: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=HPS20

HPS is a newly established workshop that covers all aspects of High-Performance I/O and storage, including storage hardware, storage systems, libraries, and I/O intensive applications.

Conference co-chairs: Katryn Mohror & Marc Snir
Program co-chairs: Gabriel Antoniu & Toni Cortés

The recent years are seeing an accelerated evolution of high-end storage systems, libraries, and services, due to several reasons:

Technology: The availability of an increasing number of persistent solid-state storage technologies that can replace either memory or disk is creating new opportunities for the structure of storage systems.

Performance Requirements: Disk-based parallel file systems cannot satisfy the performance needs of high-end systems. It is not clear how solid-state storage is best used to alleviate the problem.

Infrastructure evolution: HPC technology will not only be deployed in dedicated supercomputing centers in the future. “Embedded HPC”, “HPC in the box”, “HPC in the loop”, “HPC in the cloud”, “HPC as a service”, “near- to-real-time simulation” are concepts requiring new small-scale deployment environments for HPC. A federation of systems and functions with consistent mechanisms for managing I/O, storage and data processing across all participating systems will be required, to creating a “continuum” of computing.

Application Evolution: Data analysis, including graph analytics and machine learning training, are becoming increasingly important high-end applications. I/O is often a major bottleneck for such application, both in a cloud environment and in an HPC environment – especially when fast turnaround or integration of heavy computation with heavy analysis are required.

Virtualization and disaggregation: As virtualization and disaggregation become broadly used in cloud and HPC computing, the issues of virtualized storage and storage disaggregation have increasing importance.

The workshop aims to bring together researchers and developers working on high-end storage systems, libraries and applications in HPC and clusters, and users of such systems that are interested in these issues.

HPS 20120 welcomes original submissions in a range of areas, including but not limited to:

  *
High-end storage systems
  *
Parallel and distributed high-end storage organizations
  *
The synergy between different storage models (POSIX file system, object storage, key-value, row-oriented, and column-oriented databases)
  *
Storage and data processing architectures and systems for hybrid HPC/cloud/edge infrastructures
  *
Structures and interfaces for leveraging persistent solid-state storage
  *
High-performing I/O libraries and services
  *
I/O performance in high-end systems and applications
  *
Data reduction and compression
  *
Benchmarks and performance tools for high-end I/O
  *
Language and library support for data-centric computing
  *
Storage virtualization and disaggregation
  *
Active processing in storage technologies.
  *
Ephemeral storage media and consistency optimizations
  *
Storage architectures and systems for scalable stream-based processing
  *
Study cases of I/O services in support of various application domains (bioinformatics, scientific simulations, large observatories, and experimental facilities, etc.)

Papers should present original research and provide sufficient background material to make them accessible to the broader community.

Submission Info:
The workshop will accept traditional research papers (8-10 pages) for in-depth topics and short papers (4-8 pages) for works in progress on hot topics. Papers should be submitted at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=HPS20

Important Dates:

Abstract submission (optional) deadline: January 15th, 2020
Paper submission deadline: January 31st, 2020
Acceptance notification: February 28th, 2020
Camera-ready deadline: March 20th, 2020
Workshop: May 22th, 2020

For additional details, see  web: http://snir.cs.illinois.edu/HPS/
Marc Snir email: chair at hpsworkshop.org<mailto:chair at hpsworkshop.org>

Program Committee

John Bent, Seagate Systems, USA
Angelos Bilas, Forth, Greece
André Brinkmann, U Mainz, Germany
Suren Byna, LLBL, USA
Franck Cappello, ANL, USA
Jesus Carretero, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
Alexandru Costan, Inria and INSA Rennes, France
Matthieu Dorier, Argonne National Lab, USA
Carlos Maltzan, University of California, Santa Cruz
Pierre Matri, Argonne National Lab, USA
Bogdan Nicolae, Argonne National Lab, USA
Manish Parashar, Rutgers University, USA
Maria Pérez, UPM, Spain
Dana Petcu, University West Timisoara, Romania
Rob Ross, Argonne National Laboratory, USA
Michael Schoettner, University of Dusseldorf, Germany
Xuanhua Shi, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China
Domenico Talia, University of Calabria, Italy
Osamu Tatebe, University of Tsukuba, Japan
Kento Sato, RIKEN, Japan
Weikuan Yu, Florida State University, USA