[hpc-announce] CFP: CCIW at HPDC 2020 [Extension Deadline: 17th Apr 2020] (Workshop on Converged Computing Infrastructure)

Ana Gainaru ana.gainaru at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:05:06 CDT 2020

2nd International Workshop on Converged Computing Infrastructure (CCIW 2020)
(Call for Papers)

June 23, 2020 @ Stockholm, Sweden

Web: https://cciw.github.io

Important dates
Abstract Registration Due: *Apr 10, 2020*
Full papers due: *Apr 17, 2020*
Deadlines are Anywhere on Earth (AoE)

CCIW 2020 is organized in conjunction with HPDC (The International ACM
Symposium on
High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing) 2020, Stockholm,
Sweden, June 23-26

Workshop Overview

The focus of this workshop is to discover and discuss open challenges of
the computing
infrastructure convergence problem, and to draw preliminary solutions for
tackling such
problems. The workshop aims to act as a liaison, a common forum for experts
from computing
domains, such as HPC, big data, AI to discuss the infrastructure-related
problems that could
be tackled through a concerted approach. The workshop combines three major
domains of high
interest to HPDC under one umbrella that emphasizes convergence: high
performance computing,
big data analytics, large scale machine learning.

The case for deep convergence needs pragmatic arguments. Addressing the
lack of performance
studies for the deep convergence problem, in this workshop we will provide
a dedicated forum
for preliminary performance studies of processing representative big-data
and HPC workloads
on a common infrastructure. In our vision, the deep convergence entails
defining common
software-and-hardware ecosystems, catering to the needs of all computing
domains. To achieve
deep convergence, we advocate for a complete redesign of the
software-hardware stacks through
software-hardware concertation. This is achieved by identifying common
software building blocks
for all computing domains, mapping them to their most suited hardware, and
offering efficient
mechanisms for combining these in efficient, large-scale workflows. Such
workflows would have
the capability to efficiently describe combinations of HPC, AI, and BD
workloads, that
efficiently share resources on a deeply converged infrastructure.

Topics of Interest

We invite the submission of original work that is related to the topics
below. The submitted
articles can either be short papers (2 pages), position papers (4 pages),
or full research
papers (4-6 pages). We also accept “talk-only” submissions, of at most 2
pages, which will
not be included in the proceedings, but the authors will be allowed a full
presentation slot.
Camera-ready version of accepted papers must be compliant with the ACM
Master Template with
sigconf format (please be sure to use the current version). We especially
encourage submissions
that look into the convergence of the three focus domains - HPC, BD, and
AI. Topics of interest
include, but are not limited to:

- Resource-management and scheduling for converged infrastructure
- Interoperability, interference mitigation, performance variability
- Novel system architectures and programming models for converged
infrastructure
- Performance studies of converged infrastructure, performance portability
and compatibility
- Converged storage systems, malleable and reconfigurable runtimes and
middleware
- Hardware-software co-design and concentration
- Identifying common building blocks, libraries, and functionality for HPC,
BD, and AI/ML/DL
- Convergence with the cloud, redefining elasticity and scalability for
converged infrastructure
- New classes of applications, applications at the boundary of HPC, Big
Data, AI, Machine Learning,
  or Deep Learning, or combinations of, that fit best on converged
infrastructure
- Lessons learned from building and operating converged infrastructure

Paper Submission

Proceedings of this workshop will be published in CD format and will be
available at the conference.
Camera-ready version of accepted papers must be compliant with the ACM
Master Template with sigconf format
(please be sure to use the current version).

 * Submissions must be in English and in PDF format
 * Submissions are NOT double-blind
 * Only web-based submissions are allowed
 * Please submit your paper via the submission system:
 * Submission Link : https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ccwi2020

Important dates

 * Abstract Submission: April 10, 2020
 * Full papers due: April 17, 2020
 * Paper Acceptance Notification: April 27, 2020
 * Camera-ready: May 6, 2020
 * Workshop: June 23, 2020

Organizers

General Co-chairs
 * Alexandru Uta - Leiden University, Netherlands
 * Carlos Costa - IBM Research, USA
 * Jan Rellermeyer - Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
 * Ana Gainaru - Vanderbilt University, USA