[hpc-announce] Call for Participation: Joint Workshop ScienceCloud / Converged Computing Infrastructures @HPDC, Phoenix, AZ, June 25

Alexandru Costan alexandru.costan at inria.fr
Thu Jun 20 09:42:26 CDT 2019

           CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

    10th Workshop on Scientific Cloud Computing
               ScienceCloud 2019
                 June 25, 2019
Held in conjunction with ACM HPDC 2019, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
        (Conference dates: June 24-28, 2019)

  https://sites.google.com/view/sciencecloud2019/

This year, ScienceCloud is organized jointly with the 1st Workshop on Converged Computing Infrastructure. We have set up an exciting program with a keynote by Ian Foster (ANL) and a panel on Infrastructure: what scientists need from HPC, Clouds, and Big Data/ML systems.

9:00-9:10 Opening and Keynote Introduction
9:10-10:20 Keynote by Ian Foster (Argonne National Laboratory): Coding the Continuum
10:20-10:30 ElasticPipe: An Efficient and Dynamic Model-Parallel Solution to DNN Training. Presenter: Jinkun Geng (Tsinghua University)

10:30-11:00 Coffee Break

11:00-11:20 Towards a Smart, Internet-Scale Cache Service for Data Intensive Scientific Applications. Presenter: Yubo Qin (Rutgers University)
11:20-11:40 Deconstructing the 2017 Changes to AWS Spot Market Pricing. Presenter: Matt Baughman (Minerva Schools at KGI)
11:40-12:00 Horizontal or Vertical? A Hybrid Approach to Large-Scale Distributed Machine Learning. Presenter: Jinkun Geng (Tsinghua University)

12:00-13:00 Lunch Break

13:00-14:15 Panel: Infrastructure: what scientists need from HPC, Clouds, and Big Data/ML systems. Panelists: Alexandru Iosup (TU Delft), Jay Lofstead (Sandia National Laboratories), Bogdan Nicolae (Argonne National Laboratory)
14:15-14:25 Closing Remarks

Keynote: Ian Foster - Coding the Continuum

Abstract: In 2001, as early high-speed networks were deployed, George Gilder observed that +IBw-when the network is as fast as the computer's internal links, the machine disintegrates across the net into a set of special purpose appliances.+IB0- Two decades later, our networks are 1,000 times faster, our appliances are increasingly specialized, and our computer systems are indeed disintegrating. As hardware acceleration overcomes speed-of-light delays, time and space merge into a computing continuum. Familiar questions like +IBw-where should I compute,+IB0- +IBw-for what workloads should I design computers,+IB0- and +ACI-where should I place my computers+IB0- seem to allow for a myriad of new answers that are exhilarating but also daunting. Are there concepts that can help guide us as we design applications and computer systems in a world that is untethered from familiar landmarks like center, cloud, edge? I propose some ideas and report on experiments in coding the continuum.

Bio: Ian Foster has been working to code the continuum for more than 30 years, first as a PhD student at Imperial College, London, and then as a scientist at Argonne National Laboratory and a professor of computer science at the University of Chicago. He is currently Senior Scientist and Distinguished Fellow, and also director of the Data Science and Learning Division, at Argonne, and the Arthur Holly Compton Distinguished Service Professor of Computer Science at Chicago. Ian received a BSc (Hons I) degree from the University of Canterbury, New Zealand, and a PhD from Imperial College, United Kingdom, both in computer science. His research deals with distributed, parallel, and data-intensive computing technologies, and innovative applications of those technologies to scientific problems in such domains as materials science, climate change, and biomedicine. His Globus software is widely used in national and international cyberinfrastructures. Foster is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Association for Computing Machinery, and British Computer Society. His awards include the Global Information Infrastructure Next Generation award, British Computer Society Lovelace Medal, and IEEE Kanai award. He has received honorary doctorates from the University of Canterbury, New Zealand, and the Mexican Center for Research and Advanced Studies of the National Polytechnic Institute. He co-founded Univa, Inc., a company established to deliver grid and cloud computing solutions, and Praedictus Climate Solutions, which combines data science and high performance computing for quantitative agricultural forecasting.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Phoenix

The ScienceCloud/CCIW co-chairs