[hpc-announce] Call for Participation: HPC Meets Real-Time Data SC18 BoF

BROWN Nicholas n.brown at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Sun Nov 11 13:38:54 CST 2018

SC18 BoF on HPC Meets Real-Time Data: Interactive Supercomputing for
Urgent Decision Making

Thursday, November 15th, 2018
12:15 - 13:15
Room C146
Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center
Dallas, TX

have the potential to move HPC well beyond traditional computational
workloads. Bearing in mind the availability of fast growing social and
sensor networks, the combination of HPC simulation with high velocity
data and live analytics is likely to be of great importance in the
future for solving societal, economic and environmental problems. The
idea of this BoF is to bring together those interested in the challenges
and opportunities of enhancing HPC with real-time data flows and
interactive exploration capacities to support urgent decision making.

Areas of Focus:
Our intention for this BoF is to hold a number of discussions with
members of the audience, after introducing the area in more detail we
will break into sub groups, each of which focusing of a specific area of
interest that contributes to the overall challenge. After these
discussions, a short summary from each group will be provided to the
rest of the audience by the BoF organisers. These areas of focus are:
     * Interactive supercomputing and applications: Top down, the use of
interactive supercomputing by different applications and to understand
what other applications there are out there already interested in this space
     * Technical challenges arising from fusing HPC with real-time data:
Driven bottom up, how are we going to actually fuse HPC and real-time
data so people can take advantage of this in their codes? What
challenges arise from the assumptions made by current generation HPC
technologies and how might we address this?
     * Interactive data exploration challenges: Experiences around the
interactive exploration of data and challenges arising from this. Also
exploring members of the HPC community who would like to do this but are
not currently.

Organisers: Nick Brown, Andreas Gerndt, Vyacheslav Olshevsky, Achim
Basermann and Stefano Markidis

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.