[hpc-announce] DEADLINE EXTENDED: 7th Workshop on Extreme-Scale Programming Tools (ESPT'18)

Marc-André Hermanns m.a.hermanns at fz-juelich.de
Mon Jul 23 11:00:15 CDT 2018

2nd Call for Papers: 7th Workshop on Extreme-Scale Programming Tools
(ESPT 2018)
================================

http://www.vi-hps.org/symposia/espt/espt-sc18.html

The 7th Workshop on Extreme-Scale Programming Tools will be held in
conjunction with SC18: The International Conference for High
Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis in Dallas, TX,
USA, on Friday, November 16, 2018.

Call for Papers:
----------------

The path to extreme computing keeps broadening: large scale systems
towards exascale and beyond, growing many core systems with deep
memory hierarchies and massively parallel accelerators are just a few
of the platforms we can expect. This trend will challenge HPC
application developers in their quest to achieve the maximum potential
that their systems have to offer, both on and across nodes. Factors
such as limited power budgets, heterogeneity, hierarchical memories,
shrinking I/O bandwidths, and performance variability will make it
increasingly difficult to create productive applications on future
platforms. To address these challenges, we need tools for debugging,
performance measurement and analysis, and tuning to overcome the
architectural, system, and programming complexities expected in these
environments.

At the same time, research and development progress for HPC tools
themselves faces equally difficult challenges: adaptive systems with
an increased emphasis on autotuning, dynamic monitoring and
adaptation, heterogeneous analysis and new metrics such as power,
energy and temperature require new methodologies, techniques, and
engagement with application teams. This workshop will serve as a forum
for HPC application developers, system designers and tool researchers
to discuss the requirements for tools assisting developers in
identifying, investigating and handling the challenges in future
extreme scale environments, both for highly parallel nodes and in
large-scale HPC systems.

The workshop is the seventh in a series of SC conference workshops
organized by the Virtual Institute - High Productivity Supercomputing
(VI-HPS), an international initiative of HPC researchers and
developers focused on programming and performance tools for parallel
systems. Workshop topics:

* Performance tools for scalable parallel platforms
* Debugging and correctness tools for parallel programming paradigms
* Program development tool chains (incl. IDEs) for parallel systems
* Methodologies for performance engineering
* Tool technologies for extreme-scale challenges (e.g., scalability,
  resilience, power)
* Tool support for accelerated architectures and large-scale
  multi-cores
* Measurement and optimization tools for networks and I/O
* Tool infrastructures and environments
* Application developer experiences with programming and performance
  tools

Submissions:
------------

Submissions are limited to 10 pages using 10pt fonts in the IEEE
format. The 10-page limit includes figures, tables, and your
appendices, but does not include references, for which there is no
page limit. Reproducibility initiative dependencies (Artifact
Description or Computational Results Analysis) are also not included
in the 10-page limit.

Papers must be submitted through the Supercomputing submission site. A
link is posted on the workshop website.

NOTE: Authors of accepted papers may apply for travel support provided
by SPEXXA, the DFG Priority Program  1648 Software for Exascale Computing.

Reproducibility:
----------------

For ESPT 2018, we adopt the SC18 reproducibility initiative.
Participation in the reproducibility initiative is optional, but
highly encouraged. To participate, authors provide a completed
Artifact Description Appendix (at most 2 pages) along with their
submission. We will use the format of the SC18 appendix for ESPT
submissions. Refer to the workshop website for templates and more
information.

Important Dates:
----------------

Submission deadline: August 6, 2018 (EXTENDED DEADLINE)
Author notification: Sep 03, 2018
Camera-ready & Copyright form deadline: Oct 01, 2018

Workshop website:
-----------------

http://www.vi-hps.org/symposia/espt/espt-sc18.html

Organizing committee:
---------------------

* Martin Schulz, Technical University Munich, Germany
* David Boehme, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA
* Marc-Andre Hermanns, Forschungszentrum Juelich, Germany
* William Jalby, Universite de Versailles St-Quentin-en-Yvelines, France
* Felix Wolf, TU Darmstadt, Germany

Contact:
--------

You can reach the organizing committee via mail at:
sc-ws-espt at info.supercomputing.org

--
Dr. Marc-Andre Hermanns
Juelich Aachen Research Alliance,

Wilhelm-Johnen-Str.
52425 Juelich
Germany

Phone: +49 2461 61 2509 | +49 241 80 24381
Fax: +49 2461 80 6 99753
www.jara.org/jara-hpc
email: m.a.hermanns at fz-juelich.de