[hpc-announce] CFP: WOIV'18, 3rd International Workshop on In Situ Visualization

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Feb 15 16:35:56 CST 2018

                              Call for Papers

       WOIV'18: 3rd International Workshop on In Situ Visualization:
                       Introduction and Applications

            Held in conjunction with ISC High Performance 2018
                     Frankfurt, Germany, June 28, 2018

                  *** Submissions due April 24, 2018 ***

Conference website      http://www.woiv.org
CFP link                https://easychair.org/cfp/WOIV18
Submission link         https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=woiv18
Contact                 chairs2018 at woiv.org

Large-scale HPC simulations with their inherent I/O bottleneck have made in
situ an essential approach for data analysis. The workshop "In Situ
Visualization: Introduction and Applications" provides a venue for speakers
to share practical expertise and experience with in situ visualization
approaches. We encourage contributed talks on methods and workflows that
have been applied in this scenario.

For this 3rd edition of the workshop, we additionally encourage submissions
on approaches that either did not work at all or did not live up to their
expectations. We therefore expect to get first-hand reports on lessons
learned. Speakers should detail if and how the application drove
abstractions or other kinds of data reductions and how these interacted
with the expressiveness and flexibility of the visualization for
exploratory analysis or why the approach failed.

Our goal is to appeal to a wide-ranging audience of visualization
scientists, computational scientists, and simulation developers, who have
to collaborate in order to develop, deploy, and maintain in situ
visualization approaches on HPC infrastructures. We hope to provide
practical take-away techniques and insights that serve as inspiration for
attendees to implement or refine in their own HPC environments and to avoid
pitfalls.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

We accept submissions of papers with at most 12 pages (excluding
references) in Springer single column LNCS style, see LaTeX and Word
templates at

    http://www.springer.com/computer/lncs?SGWID=0-164-6-793341-0

The review process is single or double blind, we leave it to the discretion
of the authors whether they want to disclose their identity in their
submissions. Submissions are exclusively handled via EasyChair:

    https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=woiv18

All submissions will undergo a peer-review process by experts in the field,
and will be evaluated according to relevance to the workshop theme,
technical soundness, thoroughness of success/failure comparison, and
impactfulness of method/results.

LIST OF TOPICS

Areas of interest for WOIV include, but are not limited to:

In situ infrastructures
  * Current Systems: production quality, research prototypes
  * Successful and unsuccessful approaches, dead ends
  * Opportunities / Gaps

System resources, hardware, and emerging architectures
  * Enabling Hardware
  * Hardware and architectures that provide opportunities for in situ
    processing, such as burst buffers, staging computations on I/O nodes,
    sharing cores within a node for both simulation and in situ processing

Methods/algorithms/applications/Case studies

  * Best practices
  * Analysis: feature detection, statistical methods, temporal methods,
    geometric methods
  * Visualization: information visualization, scientific visualization,
    time-varying methods
  * Data reduction / compression
  * Examples/case studies of solving a specific science challenge with in
    situ methods / infrastructure.

Simulation

  * Integration: data modeling, software-engineering
  * Resilience: error detection, fault recovery
  * Workflows for supporting complex in situ processing pipelines

Requirements

  * Preserve important elements
  * Significantly reduce the data size
  * Flexibility for post-processing exploration

PROGRAM AND ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Kenneth Moreland, Sandia National Laboratories
Guido Reina, University of Stuttgart
Thomas Theussl, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Tom Vierjahn, RWTH Aachen University

PUBLICATION

At least one author of each paper must be registered for the workshop and
present their work in order for the paper to be published in the
proceedings. The proceedings will appear as post-conference workshop
proceedings to give authors the flexibility to adjust their contributions
based on the feedback given during the workshop. Preliminary
(conference-ready) versions will be collected and made available to
workshop participants during ISC.

VENUE

When: June 28, 2018
Where: Frankfurt, Germany

Held in conjunction with ISC High Performance 2018: The Event for High
Performance Computing, Networking and Storage
http://www.isc-hpc.com/