[hpc-announce] CDER Center: Grant and training opportunity for instructors to add parallel and distributed computing to early courses

Alan Sussman als at cs.umd.edu
Thu Apr 19 17:36:47 CDT 2018

Greetings from the CDER Center,

We have a new opportunity we are offering to help instructors
incorporate parallel and distributed computing (PDC) into lower division
undergraduate courses.

Through an NSF CyberTraining grant,**we are able to offer* grants to
support instructors in PDC curriculum development* work. Although our
nearly 150 prior grants were quite successful, this time we are hoping
to do even more by doubling the amount of each award (to *$5000*), and
coupling it *with training during the week of July 16, 2018* that will
cover both course content and the evaluation methodology needed to
enable publication of findings from experimental course offerings.

The program will support 15 grants this year, and there is also funding
for another dozen people to just attend the training. We also anticipate
supporting travel to our EduPar and EduHPC workshops to present results.

In addition to asking you to think about applying for a grant, we are
asking for your help to publicize the grants. *Please forward this
invitation to anyone you know who teaches courses in the first two years
of the curriculum*.