[hpc-announce] Fog and Edge Computing: A Call for Book Chapters

Rajkumar Buyya rbuyya at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Oct 1 01:36:53 CDT 2017

Fog and Edge Computing: Principles and Paradigms

Call for Book Chapters

www.cloudbus.org/fog/book

Introduction

The Internet of Things (IoT) paradigm promises to make “things” such as
physical objects with sensing capabilities and/or attached with tags,
mobile objects such as smart phones and vehicles, consumer electronic
devices and home appliances such as fridge, television, healthcare
devices, as part of the Internet environment. In cloud-centric IoT
applications, the sensor data from these “things” is extracted,
accumulated and processed at the public/private clouds, leading to
significant latencies. Fog computing addresses this issue in developing
real-time IoT applications, by mainly utilizing proximity based
computational resources across the IoT layers such as gateways,
cloudlets and network switches/routers. Similar approach of utilizing
proximity resources in telecommunication domain is the Mobile Edge
computing. Recently, there is also significant discussion in the similar
lines with other approaches such as Mist computing and Dew computing.

To realize the full potential of Fog computing and similar paradigms,
researchers and practitioners need to address several challenges and
develop suitable conceptual and technological solutions for tackling
them. These include development of scalable architectures, moving from
closed systems to open systems, dealing with privacy and ethical issues
involved in data sensing, storage, processing, and actions, designing
interaction protocols, and autonomic management.

Objectives

The primary purpose of this book is to capture the state-of-the-art in
Fog and Edge computing, their applications, architectures, and
technologies. The book also aims to identify potential research
directions and technologies that will facilitate insight generation in
various domains from smart home, smart cities, science, industry,
business, and consumer applications. We expect the book to serve as a
reference for larger audience such as system architects, practitioners,
developers, new researchers and graduate level students.

Topics of Interest

Topics for potential chapters include, but are not limited, to:

1. Fog and Edge Computing Architectures

·       Massively scalable architectures for Fog/Edge/Mist

·       Middleware for Fog/Edge infrastructures

·       Openness, resource sharing and management

·       Fog/Edge discovery, addressing and naming

·       Cloud-centric IoT

·       Interaction protocols

·       Autonomic management

·       Open service platforms

2. Fog/Edge Solutions and Enablers

·       Programming models and runtime systems for Fog/Edge Computing

·       Smart infrastructures

·       Scheduling for Fog/Edge infrastructures

·       Fog/Edge Computing applications

·       Latency/locality-critical applications

·       Applications and interactions for Social IoT

·       Crowd-sourcing and crowd-sensing and IoT

·       Mobile computing and smart phones for IoT

·       Cyborgs and personal devices

·       Resource-constrained devices management and optimization

      3. Fog/Edge/IoT Reliability, Security and Privacy

·       Robustness and reliability challenges

·       Openness versus security

·       Fog/Edge privacy challenges and solutions

·       Security and identity management for IoT

·       Trust management

·       Management policies

·       Light-weight cryptography solutions

·       Legal issues in Fog/Edge clouds

     4. Fog/Edge/IoT Data Management

·       Fog/Edge storage

·       Data analytics

·       Rea-time streaming data processing

·       Knowledge discovery

·       Visualization of IoT data

·       Lightweight data structures

·       Semantic technologies for IoT/Fog/Edge

·       Data storage and data-centric solutions

5. Fog/Edge Applications

·       Smart Home

·       Smart Grid

·       Smart Health

·       Smart Cities

·       Smart Government

·       Smart Industrial Environments

·       Industry 4.0

Important Dates - Proposed

Chapter Proposal: You are invited to submit a 1-2 pages proposal
describing the topic of your chapter. The proposal should include the
chapter organization, anticipated number of pages of the final
manuscript and brief biography of authors.  We plan to follow the
timeline given below:

     Proposal deadline: Oct. 15, 2017 (Early expression of interest is
highly encouraged)
     Notification of proposal acceptance: Oct 30, 2017
     Full draft chapter submission: Dec. 15, 2017
     Chapter review report to authors:Jan 15, 2018
     Final version submission: Feb. 28, 2018

Early submission is highly appreciated, as the editors would like to
have progressive dialogue and work with prospective authors to bring out
a book of wide appeal.

If we receive more than one proposal for a chapter on the same topic,
the editors may request authors to collaborate to develop an integrated
chapter.

Please submit your Expression of Interest (EoI) to both editors by email
as part of a single email message with subject “Fog/Edge Book
EoI—CHAPTER NAME”!

Manuscript Submission

Each accepted chapter should have about 20-35 A4 pages. We expect to
deliver CRC of the book to the publisher. We request authors to compose
their chapter in WORD format. A MS Word template will be provided later.

Publisher

We are in discussion with some of the international publishers (e.g.,
Elsevier/Morgan Kaufmann/Springer). We expect to finalise the publisher
soon.

Editors:

Dr. Rajkumar Buyya

CEO, Manjrasoft, Melbourne, Australia

Director, Cloud Computing and Distributed Systems Laboratory

School of Computing and Information Systems

The University of Melbourne, Australia

rbuyya at unimelb.edu.au

Dr. Satish Narayana Srirama

Mobile & Cloud Lab