[hpc-announce] Call for Ideas Papers - DOE Workshop on Advancing Cross-cutting Ideas for Computational Climate Science

Esmond G. Ng egng at lbl.gov
Mon Nov 9 13:32:40 CST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

A workshop to discuss bold, new computational ideas to address
longer-term science needs for climate modeling is being convened January
26-28, 2016 in Rockville, MD. As the climate science community explores
a host of critical science questions to be answered over the next 10+
years, with the aim of informing stakeholders about the ongoing changes
in global and local climate, there is a growing recognition of the
expanding requirements for multiscale, global, coupled Earth system
models. We expect them to provide much more detail and fidelity, with a
much better understanding of their uncertainties, while still executing
robustly and efficiently on ever larger and more complex computing systems.

The DOE Office of Science BER and ASCR programs are sponsoring the
event, titled “Advancing Cross-cutting Ideas for Computational Climate
Science”, or AXICCS 2016. It is a grassroots effort to generate fresh
thinking that will mold the optimal science directions and motivate the
latest and as yet to be uncovered ASCR developments that will be
required to handle new requirements. A report outlining the challenges,
strategies to address them, and possible avenues for execution will be
one of the outcomes of the event. A website with details and logistics
will be provided shortly.

A key aspect to achieve the workshop goals is to brainstorm before the
event, and to accomplish this we are soliciting community input in the
form of “ideas” papers. Overall space at the event is limited, but we
plan to accommodate the lead authors of these ideas papers via a
presentation (oral or poster) and acknowledgement in the workshop
report. Some of those selected will be included in the workshop
write-up. Details about the format for the ideas papers and templates to
download are provided at
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/workshops/AXICCS/paper.html. Ideas papers must
be submitted through a link to EasyChair no later than 5:00pm Eastern
Time on Nov 24, 2015, and official invitations to present will be sent
to selected lead authors by Dec 9, 2015. Attendees will need to cover
their own travel expenses.

We would like to express our sincere appreciation to the workshop
sponsors, the DOE Office of Science BER and ASCR programs, and in
particular, Drs. Dorothy Koch and Randall Laviolette for their
encouragement to proceed. We also thank those who have volunteered to
become a part of the organizing committee.

Sincerely,
Katherine Evans, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Esmond Ng, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory