[hpc-announce] Final call: ACM SAC Dependable and Adaptive Distributed Systems

Karl M. Goeschka Karl.Goeschka at tuwien.ac.at
Sat Sep 27 12:47:11 CDT 2014

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS
=====================

| 10th Track on Dependable and Adaptive Distributed Systems (DADS) |
| of the 30th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC'15)          |

April 13 - 17, 2015
Salamanca, Spain
http://www.dedisys.org/sac15/
http://www.acm.org/conferences/sac/sac2015/

Accepted papers will be published in the ACM
conference proceedings and will be included in the ACM digital library.

Important Dates:
Paper submission: October 10, 2014 (extended)
Author notification: November 30, 2014
Camera-ready copies: December 15, 2014

Authors are invited to submit original work not
previously published, nor currently submitted
elsewhere. Authors submit full papers in pdf
format using the link to the submission site at
http://www.dedisys.org/sac15/. Authors are
allowed up to 8 pages, but with more than 6 pages
in the final camera ready, there will be a charge of 80USD per extra page.

Call details
============
While computing is provided by the cloud and
services increasingly pervade our daily lives,
dependability and security are no longer
restricted to mission or safety critical
applications, but rather become a cornerstone of
the information society. Unfortunately,
large-scale, dynamic, and heterogeneous software
systems that typically run continuously, often
tend to become inert, brittle, and vulnerable
after a while. The key problem is that the most
innovative systems and applications are the ones
that also suffer most from a significant decrease
in dependability and security when compared to
traditional critical systems, where dependability
and security are fairly well understood as
complementary concepts and a variety of proven
methods and techniques is available today. In
accordance with Laprie we call this effect the
dependability gap, which is widened in front of
us between demand and supply of dependability,
and we can see this trend further fueled by the
demand for resource awareness, green computing, and increasing cost pressure.

Among technical factors of dependability,
software development methods, tools, and
techniques contribute to dependability, as
defects in software products and services may
lead to failure and also provide typical access
for malicious attacks. In addition, there is a
wide variety of fault and intrusion tolerance
techniques available, including persistence
provided by databases, redundancy and
replication, group communication, transaction
monitors, reliable middleware, cloud
infrastructures,
fragmentation-redundancy-scattering, and
trustworthy service-oriented architectures with
explicit control of quality of service properties
and service level agreements. Furthermore,
adaptiveness is envisaged in order to react to
observed, or act upon expected changes of the
system itself, the context/environment (e.g.,
resource variability or failure/threat scenarios)
or users' needs and expectations. Provided
without explicit user intervention, this is also
termed autonomous behavior or self-properties,
and often involves monitoring, diagnosis
(analysis, interpretation), and reconfiguration
(repair). In particular, adaptation is also a
means to achieve dependability and security in a
computing infrastructure with dynamically varying structure and properties.

Topics of interest
==================

* Dependable, Adaptive, and trustworthy Distributed Systems (DADS)
* Architectures, architectural styles, and middleware for DADS
* Protocols for DADS
* Modeling, design, and engineering of DADS
* Foundations and formal methods for DADS
* Applications of DADS
* Evaluations, testing, benchmarking, and case studies of DADS
* Holistic aspects of DADS

Track program co-chairs
===============
Karl M. Goeschka, Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
(main contact: dads at dedisys.org)
Rui Oliveira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Peter Pietzuch, Imperial College London (UK)
Giovanni Russello, University of Auckland (New Zealand)

Program committee
=================

Claudio Agostino Ardagna, University of Milan (Italy)
Enrique Armendariz, Universidad Publica de Navarra (Spain)
Jean Bacon, University of Cambridge (UK)
Stefan Beyer, ITI Valencia (Spain)
Andrea Bondavalli, University of Florence (Italy)
Marco Casassa-mont, HP Labs - Bristol (UK)
Antonio Casimiro, Universidade de Lisboa (Portugal)
Mauro Conti, Universita di Padova (Italy)
Rogerio De Lemos, University of Kent (UK)
Felicita Di Giandomenico, ISTI-CNR, Pisa (Italy)
Naranker Dulay, Imperial College London (UK)
Frank Eliassen, University of Oslo (Norway)
David Eyers, University of Otago (New Zealand)
Paul Ezhilchelvan, Newcastle University (UK)
Pascal Felber, Université de Neuchâtel (Switzerland)
Lorenz Froihofer, A1 Telekom Austria (Austria)
Christina Gacek, City University (UK)
Ashish Gehani, SRI International  (USA)
Kurt Geihs, Universität Kassel (Germany)
Holger Giese, Hasso Plattner Institut (Germany)
Vincenzo Gulisano, Chalmers University (Sweden)
Matti Hiltunen, AT&T Labs (USA)
Shanshan Jiang, SINTEF (Norway)
Rüdiger Kapitza, TU Braunschweig (Germany)
Mikel Larrea, Euskal Herriko Unibersitatea (Spain)
István Majzik, Budapest UTE. (Hungary)
Matteo Migliavacca, University of Kent (UK)
Gero Mühl, University of Rostock (Germany)
Francesc Daniel Muñoz-Escoí, UP Valencia (Spain)
Marta Patino-Martinez, UP Madrid (Spain)
Fernando Pedone, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Jose Pereira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Guillaume Pierre, IRISA/Universite de Rennes 1 (France)
Barry Porter, University of St Andrews (UK)
Calton Pu, Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)
Luís Rodrigues, INESC-ID/IST (Portugal)
Luigi Romano, University of Naples (Italy)
Romain Rouvoy, INRIA (France)
Matthieu Roy, LAAS-CNRS, Toulouse (France)
Elad Schiller, Chalmers University (Seden)
André Schiper, EPFL (Switzerland)
Elena Troubitsyna, Åbo Akademi University (Finland)
Sara Tucci Piergiovanni, Uni. degli Studi di Roma La Sapienza (Italy)
Ricardo Vilaça, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Roman Vitenberg, University of Oslo (Norway)
Nicola Zannone, Technical University of Eindhoven (Netherlands)
Uwe Zdun, Vienna University (Austria)