[hpc-announce] [CFP] The First International Workshop on Rack Scale Computing (WRSC 2014)

Paolo Costa Paolo.Costa at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 6 11:57:10 CST 2014

Call For Papers: The First International Workshop on Rack Scale Computing (WRSC 2014)

 http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/events/wrsc2014

WRSC will be a venue to discuss the impact of game-changing technologies such as SoCs, integrated fabrics, low-latency RDMA, silicon photonics, on the design of data center hardware and software. These technologies and implications span different areas, so as a unifying theme we are using the term "rack-scale computing" because many of these changes are happening at the scale of a rack. We are already seeing early platforms from companies like AMD SeaMicro, Calxeda, HP and Intel. However, fully unleashing their potential requires a deep and cross-layer rethinking of the way the hardware, OS and network stacks, and applications are built and interact. While some of these ideas have already started being discussed in various research communities, we believe it's important to have a common forum for researchers and practitioners from different areas (hardware architectures, networking, operating systems, storage, distributed systems, and HPC) to discuss new ideas on how to design next-generation rack-scale systems. We hope that this workshop will help shaping the research agenda in the field.

- Submission deadline: Sunday Feb 16, 2014

-  Notification to the authors:  Saturday, Mar 8, 2014

-  Workshop: Sunday April 13, 2014 in Amsterdam (co-located with Eurosys 2014).

= Organization =

Paolo Costa, Microsoft Research (Program Chair)

Dushyanth Narayanan, Microsoft Research (General Chair)

= Program Committee=

Gustavo Alonso, ETH Zurich
Edouard Bugnion, EPFL
Luis Ceze, U. Washington