[hpc-announce] HPC and Computational Science devroom at FOSDEM'14 - Call for Participation

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at ugent.be
Thu Oct 24 13:25:41 CDT 2013

FOSDEM [1] is a free and open source software developers meeting which is organized annually in Brussels (Belgium), and is attended by over 5000 open source enthusiasts from all over the world.

FOSDEM'14 will host a developer room (devroom) on High-Performance Computing (HPC) and Computational Science, providing an opportunity for open source software developers in the HPC community to present their work and discuss it with FOSDEM attendees.

The devroom organization is taken care of by the HPC team of Ghent University [2, 3], in collaboration with the Flemish Supercomputer Centre (VSC) [4].

FOSDEM'14 takes place in the weekend of February 1st - 2nd 2014 at the ULB campus Solbosch in Brussels (Belgium).

** Call for Participation **

We invite system administrators, user support team members and end users of HPC infrastructure to present their open source software project(s) during this friendly and open-minded meeting.
Topics should include tools relevant to the HPC community, scientific software projects, …, that adhere to the 'open source' format in some way or another.

Submissions should focus on the functionality, features, design and other interesting broad aspects of an open source software project, and should not include too much technical content that is (research) domain-specific or assumes deep knowledge of the topic.
We aim to host talks with a sufficient amount of interesting content to attendees with widely different backgrounds, which does *not* exclude submissions on software projects that focus on particular scientific research domains.

We also welcome other activity proposals different from 'traditional' project presentations: discussions on a particular topic, hacking sessions, etc.
Please contact the devroom organizers directly if you have any suggestions for activities of this kind.

** Important dates **

submission deadline: Friday December 6th 2013
acceptance notifications: Friday December 20th 2013
final schedule announcement: Friday January 10th 2014
HPC devroom @ FOSDEM'14: Saturday February 1st 2014

** Practical **

Talks should be 15-20 minutes, and consist of a presentation supported by slides; any degree of interactivity (e.g., requests for feedback, open discussions, etc.) is encouraged, but 100% optional.

Submissions should be made via the FOSDEM submission page,seehttps://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM14 (via "Create event").

Make sure you select the "HPC and Computational Science" devroom track when making your submission(s)!

Submissions should include:
	- an abstract of max. 250 words briefly describing the subject of the talk
	- a rough outline of the talk (informal, a short list of bullet points mentioning topics that will be discussed)
	- intended audience and goal of the talk (for example, "bioinformaticians, let them discover my fantastic project" or "HPC sysadmins, feedback and open discussion on my tool")
	- contact information (email)

** Contact **

For questions w.r.t. the HPC and Computational Science devroom at FOSDEM'14, please contact the organizers viahpc-devroom at lists.fosdem.org .

More information is available athttp://hpcugent.github.io/easybuild/fosdem14.html .