[Darshan-users] PyDarshan issues

Snyder, Shane ssnyder at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 14 14:49:49 CDT 2021

Hi Jeff,

Disclaimer: I'm not a heavy Python developer and have not experienced this particular issue yet...

It does look like there's just an incompatibility with the numpy from your conda install with the one shipped in the PyDarshan wheel (i.e., via pip install), which doesn't seem unreasonable, I guess.

I did find this quickly googling around about conda and wheels: https://docs.conda.io/projects/conda-build/en/latest/user-guide/wheel-files.html
Using wheel files with conda — conda-build 3.21.4+11.gb01fc2b2.dirty documentation<https://docs.conda.io/projects/conda-build/en/latest/user-guide/wheel-files.html>
Using wheel files with conda¶. If you have software in a Python wheel file and want to use it with conda or install it in a conda environment, there are 3 ways.. The best way is to obtain the source code for the software and build a conda package from the source and not from a wheel.
docs.conda.io


It sounds like there may be a few options to try to ensure compatibility, including building PyDarshan from source in your conda environment or building a conda package based on a Darshan wheel. Any chance you'd be willing to try those and report back on any issues or successes? Probably good for us to better understand interactions with conda as I know it's popular among the Python community, but not something that's been really tested yet.

Thanks,
--Shane