[Darshan-users] PyDarshan issues

Jeffrey Layton laytonjb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 09:12:34 CDT 2021

Great! Thanks!

I thought I would work through the notebooks for PyDarshan. I use Anaconda
for my Python which is the source of the issue I think.

I used pip to install PyDarshan on my system (most of the time I can get
pip installed Python modules to work with conda). I'm trying the
01_darsha_introduction notebook. I tried running the first cell and got the
following error:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------ValueError
                               Traceback (most recent call
last)<ipython-input-1-923d294d02c5> in <module>----> 1 import darshan
    2       3 report =
darshan.DarshanReport("example-logs/example.darshan", read_all=True)
# Default behavior      4 report.info()
~/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/darshan/__init__.py in <module>
  17      18 #from darshan.backend.cffi_backend import *---> 19 from
darshan.report import DarshanReport     20      21
~/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/darshan/report.py in <module>
 8       9 ---> 10 import darshan.backend.cffi_backend as backend
11      12 import json
~/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/darshan/backend/cffi_backend.py
in <module>      9      10 import numpy as np---> 11 import pandas as
pd     12      13 import logging
~/anaconda3/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pandas/__init__.py in <module>
    27      28 try:---> 29     from pandas._libs import hashtable as
_hashtable, lib as _lib, tslib as _tslib     30 except ImportError as
e:  # pragma: no cover     31     # hack but overkill to use re
~/anaconda3/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pandas/_libs/__init__.py in
<module>     11      12 ---> 13 from pandas._libs.interval import
Interval     14 from pandas._libs.tslibs import (     15     NaT,
pandas/_libs/interval.pyx in init pandas._libs.interval()
ValueError: numpy.ndarray size changed, may indicate binary
incompatibility. Expected 88 from C header, got 80 from PyObject

I'm guessing this is an interaction issue between conda and pip due to the
last line. Any thoughts on this? I could ask for a PyDarshan package for
conda and I wish I could help but I would be less than worthless in that
regard.

Thanks for any advice!

Jeff