[Darshan-users] Unexpected Darshan I/O characterization running IOR BM

Carns, Philip H. carns at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 21 14:46:21 CST 2018

Hi Cormac,

That's strange.  The -i 2 and -m options are making IOR attempt to read two files: testfile.0 and testfile.1.  Darshan is definitely aware of those files, but not only are the read counters missing but also the open counters.  It only shows a stat from each rank for the files in question.

Can you confirm that both of the files exist and are big enough to accommodate the requested read volume?  I wonder if IOR might stat the files up front and exit early if they aren't the correct size?

Could you also share the output of "ldd ior"?  I'm curious to make sure there isn't anything unusual about the libraries linked in, but usually if that were a problem you wouldn't get a log at all.

Also one last idea, does the behavior change if you remove the -B (O_DIRECT) option?  That shouldn't matter from Darshan's perspective, but it might not hurt to check.

thanks,
-Phil