[Darshan-users] Enable DXT

Shane Snyder ssnyder at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 13 13:14:02 CST 2017

Hi Jean,

Are you actually performing any read or write operations to a file in
the application you are linking with Darshan? DXT only traces reads and
writes, so if you are just opening a file (for instance), it shouldn't
produce any DXT data.

If your application is doing reads/writes, there should be DXT data if
you enabled it properly. Did you run 'export DXT_ENABLE_IO_TRACE='? Note
that you need to include the trailing equal sign, even if you aren't
setting a value for the amount of memory to use. For example:

'export DXT_ENABLE_IO_TRACE=' will give you the default 4MiB buffer per
process for tracing
'export DXT_ENABLE_IO_TRACE=8' will instead allocate 8MiB buffers per
process

Thanks,
--Shane