[Darshan-users] Darshan trace file creation

Shane Snyder ssnyder at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 29 14:49:39 CST 2016

Hi Wadud,

I'm assuming this is a Fortran app, right?

If so, I believe this is tied back to a known issue with Intel MPI's
Fortran bindings. Long story short, these bindings are calling the PMPI
variants of the MPI function calls directly which bypasses any profiling
tool that wraps the MPI interface at the C layer (e.g., Darshan). See
this post for more details:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-clusters-and-hpc-technology/topic/279445

I haven't personally confirmed this on Intel MPI 5.x versions (the post
I reference above is regarding a 4.x version of Intel MPI), but I
believe other users have reported the problem still exists.

It should be possible to work around the issue by modifying Darshan to
provide an additional interface for intercepting Fortran MPI calls
natively at the Fortran layer, but we have not undertaken this
development effort as of yet. Lacking that, I'm not sure what, if any,
other solutions there are, unfortunately.

Thanks,
--Shane